Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRM Drivers On Linux 3.6 Kernel Aren't Too Fun

Phoronix: DRM Drivers On Linux 3.6 Kernel Aren't Too Fun

There's a few prominent changes for the DRM graphics drivers in the forthcoming Linux 3.6 kernel but overall it will be quite a boring release for open-source Linux graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm interested in seeing some benchmarks between the old and new drivers.. something tells me that the PCI-E 2.0 support won't really do that much for performance.

Comment

i915 gained hw context support

Which is required to support geometry shaders ... boring stuff, I know ;-)

Comment

I have a hard time believing i915 hardware can do geometry shaders

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          I have a hard time believing i915 hardware can do geometry shaders
          LOL!

Ivy Bridge can do tessellation even. Imagine that!

Comment

Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
            I'm interested in seeing some benchmarks between the old and new drivers.. something tells me that the PCI-E 2.0 support won't really do that much for performance.
            You must be filtering out Michael's self-links.... From the article, you can find:
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
              LOL!

Ivy Bridge can do tessellation even. Imagine that!
              i915 != ivy. Ivy is several years newer.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                i915 != ivy. Ivy is several years newer.
                i915 = all intel graphics. At least when it comes to the kernel part of the driver.

Comment

I know. The thing is that it's both a hw name and driver name, and I wanted to highlight the ambiguity in saying that "915 can do GS" above.

Why does nobody understand me lately without writing lengthy sentences :P

Comment

Working...
                  X