DRI2 Offload Slaves, Output Slaves For September

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    Hmm, is it possible to disable a discrete PCIe card at runtime? That'd be interesting.

Otherwise, there's another scenario I was thinking of - in case the discrete card can only handle two displays, could one use the integrated GPU as an output slave for a third display?
    The LucidLogix Virtu MVP hardware on the motherboard can support cases like that. You basically forget about which cards have which monitors plugged into them, and the operating system just makes all your displays come on seamlessly and they're all part of one big desktop; and you can still decide on a per-application basis, exactly which GPU you want to be rendering (the CPU, the discrete GPU, or both).

I think for the "hybrid" mode rendering, where both CPU and GPU are involved, it intelligently picks one card (probably the one that's directly connected to the monitor it's outputting on) to do the simpler operations, but it distributes shader operations across the IGP and the GPU. This is probably because the shader pipeline is the easiest resource to distribute across GPUs as far as driver complexity and hardware complexity.
    Last edited by allquixotic; 06-09-2012, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
      The LucidLogix Virtu MVP hardware on the motherboard can support cases like that.
      Cool.

Though what I want to know is whether dma_buf prime will support this without LucidLogix Virtu. (not that I personally need this, my desktop has only one display, I'm just curious)

Comment

Working...
      X