Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google's Linux Video Acceleration API: VAVDA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Google's Linux Video Acceleration API: VAVDA

    Phoronix: Google's Linux Video Acceleration API: VAVDA

    For those that haven't heard, for Google's Chrome web-browser and ChromeOS operating system, they have their own Linux video playback acceleration API...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExMTQ

  • #2
    It must be fun to rename stuff all the time. But i really like that vaapi is used now. Hopefully it does not crash when the xvba or vdpau wrappers are used. Usually there should be no h264 l5.1 content in the web, so it might work...

    Comment


    • #3
      Gosh! Why does everybody want to have his own Linux Video Acceleration API?
      There is a standard since many years somehow NOBODY implements: OpenMAX by Khronos Group!
      Just implement that and kill every vendor-specific API!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Gosh! Why does everybody want to have his own Linux Video Acceleration API?
        There is a standard since many years somehow NOBODY implements: OpenMAX by Khronos Group!
        Just implement that and kill every vendor-specific API!
        The way I read it, this isn't a new API, it's just a wrapper to integrate hardware decoding into Chrome.

        Comment


        • #5
          Not another standard please, I'm glad it's only a rebranding.

          P.S.
          Since when does flash support va-api?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Since when does flash support va-api?
            The regular NPAPI one doesn't. But it seems Google's PepperFlash now does.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Not another standard please, I'm glad it's only a rebranding.

              P.S.
              Since when does flash support va-api?
              I'm guessing Goggle have paid for it

              Comment


              • #8
                Chrome 21 dev comes with Pepper Flash 11.3 for Linux (32bit and 64bit).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Chrome 21 dev comes with Pepper Flash 11.3 for Linux (32bit and 64bit).
                  Chrome 19 64bit don't have Pepper Flash. Good news Ii would get it in future

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    VAVDA = V(a)A(pi)V(ideo)D(ecode)A(cceleration).

                    This is NOT a new API.
                    This is ENABLING of an existing one.

                    Which is a good thing.
                    But nothing out of this world.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                      VAVDA = V(a)A(pi)V(ideo)D(ecode)A(cceleration).
                      Video Acceleration API Video Decode Acceleration.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                        The way I read it, this isn't a new API, it's just a wrapper to integrate hardware decoding into Chrome.
                        So what? The standard is still OpenMAX but somehow desktop-oriented vendors are unwilling to support it. (It is widely supported on other platforms such as smartphones and even the PS3.)
                        Neither VAAPI, nor VDPAU, nor the AMD one is an actual standard. Only OpenMAX is.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                          So what? The standard is still OpenMAX but somehow desktop-oriented vendors are unwilling to support it. (It is widely supported on other platforms such as smartphones and even the PS3.)
                          Neither VAAPI, nor VDPAU, nor the AMD one is an actual standard. Only OpenMAX is.
                          It depends on your definition of standard. Technically a standard is the one everyone uses. OpenMAX is advocated by Khronos but I think it came too late to the party (which is a shame)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Have any of you been able to get gasping acelleration using fglrx and the xvba wrapper on chrome 21 with pepperflash? Remember, you have to run with the --enable-vaapi flag.
                            Last edited by devguy; 06-01-2012, 12:18 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              9J
                              Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                              So what? The standard is still OpenMAX
                              I can respond in the same way: So what? VDPAU and vaapi are here and they work. It makes much more sense for Google to support one of these instead of something that's not used by any X driver. Standard or not.
                              Last edited by Gusar; 06-01-2012, 12:26 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X