Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server To See More API/ABI Breakage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • X.Org Server To See More API/ABI Breakage

    Phoronix: X.Org Server To See More API/ABI Breakage

    David Airlie has sent out a notice that soon he'll try to go forth with a pull request that will cause more API/ABI breakage for the X.Org Server...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwOTI

  • #2
    Link to the message is broken, should be :

    http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...ay/031395.html

    Comment


    • #3
      bridgman are the fglrx devs looking at this already or they ignoring it until the server releases? And get the fglrx for the HD2000-HD4000 an Update?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Nille View Post
        bridgman are the fglrx devs looking at this already or they ignoring it until the server releases?
        My bet is: They account for the ABI changes rather quickly but the 3+ month release cycle is the minimum time people have to wait for it.

        Originally posted by Nille View Post
        And get the fglrx for the HD2000-HD4000 an Update?
        That would be a first. I'd say no way this is going to happen.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by entropy View Post
          My bet is: They account for the ABI changes rather quickly but the 3+ month release cycle is the minimum time people have to wait for it.
          I know the internal cycles so its not an problem with it if we get the Support in 3 Month from now on. But 3 month or longer after the new server release sux.

          Originally posted by entropy View Post
          That would be a first. I'd say no way this is going to happen.
          I hope the bring an Update. I mean i don't need an monthly Update but for kernel/xserver releases i want an Update. if it's happen like the R300-r500 Series AMD dies for me. And no the OpenSource Driver is not an alternative if i want the performance.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Nille View Post
            I know the internal cycles so its not an problem with it if we get the Support in 3 Month from now on. But 3 month or longer after the new server release sux.
            I hope the bring an Update. I mean i don't need an monthly Update but for kernel/xserver releases i want an Update. if it's happen like the R300-r500 Series AMD dies for me. And no the OpenSource Driver is not an alternative if i want the performance.
            I agree. While I'm currently running the open driver on my 4850, it would be more than nice to have the option to use Catalyst with upcoming xserver releases.
            Still, I highly doubt they will provide some sort of legacy Catalyst.

            Comment


            • #7
              AMD will be slow

              AMD will be holding back Linux innovation by delaying their drivers as usual.

              AMD is always slow to update their driver everytime there is a new X.org server release.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hmm... yet another phoronix article with the obligatory negative slant on everything.

                I thought beer was supposed to cheer people up and add optimism?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I thought beer was supposed to cheer people up and add optimism?
                  The optimism is only temporary

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    X.Org API changes too fast in my opinion. Changes should be more conservative I think (like in a MS OS'es). In current situation NV/AMD should provide some open source module, which will be a bridge between X.Org and a driver API. It will be allow community to add a support for a new X.Org releases on own hand. Only really big changes in a X.Org, will require re-design of a "bridge" module by a NV/AMD.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      Hmm... yet another phoronix article with the obligatory negative slant on everything.

                      I thought beer was supposed to cheer people up and add optimism?
                      Two big pluses to your "negative slant" remark. He's been doing that even more often of late and I hope the only reason is to drive people to comment.
                      As for beer (or any alcohol), they are cns depressants, technically

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by johnc View Post
                        Hmm... yet another phoronix article with the obligatory negative slant on everything.

                        I thought beer was supposed to cheer people up and add optimism?

                        Binge drinking is defined as episodic excessive drinking.

                        Males who drink more than 35 units of alcohol per week report being physically hurt as a result of alcohol, and 15 percent report physically hurting others as a result of their drinking. Almost 16 percent of binge drinkers report being taken advantage of sexually, and 8 percent report taking advantage of another person sexually as a result of alcohol within a 1 year period. Heavy drinkers cause approximately 183,000 rapes and sexual assaults, 197,000 robberies, 661,000 aggravated assaults, and 1.7 million simple assaults each year. [19] Binge drinking has been associated with high odds of divorce, spousal abuse, and poor job performance.[20] Binge drinking can cause adverse effects on the body including effects on blood homeostasis and its circadian variation, cardiac rhythm, ischaemic heart disease, blood pressure, white blood cell activity, female reproductive hormone levels as well as adverse effects on the fetus. There is also evidence from animal studies that binge drinking causes brain damage.

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binge_drinking

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by nadro View Post
                          X.Org API changes too fast in my opinion. Changes should be more conservative I think (like in a MS OS'es). In current situation NV/AMD should provide some open source module, which will be a bridge between X.Org and a driver API. It will be allow community to add a support for a new X.Org releases on own hand. Only really big changes in a X.Org, will require re-design of a "bridge" module by a NV/AMD.
                          Intel have no problems with the allegedly fast changing API.
                          Open source AMD and Nvidia drivers doesn't seem to have any problems with it either.

                          Its just AMD and Nvdia who seem to have a problem with it with their proprietary drivers.
                          Nvidia is usually relatively out with a new driver, but AMD is slow.

                          We need to continue to evolve X.org to make it cutting-edge and competitive.
                          We needed to add kernel mode setting, a in-kernel memory manager, XRandR etc.
                          We need OpenGL 4.2, improved video acceleration, etc.
                          We still need work on multi-GPU (aka SLI / CrossFire), and hybrid graphics (aka Optimus / PowerXpress).
                          Maybe still need work on multi-monitor, I don't know.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                            There is also evidence from animal studies that binge drinking causes brain damage.
                            ahaaaaaaa!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              @uid313
                              Yep, I understand it, but we must remember that closed source drivers have long verification process (mainly in AMD) and every changes in X.Org cause, that users have to wait for a working driver a long time. Second problem is a drop support for a legacy hardware. "Bridge" module will solve these two problems, but I think that AMD/NV isn't interesting of similar solution for it's own drivers :/ Now every, even small change in a X.Org header files cause a problems for an users...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X