Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server To See More API/ABI Breakage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • X.Org Server To See More API/ABI Breakage

    Phoronix: X.Org Server To See More API/ABI Breakage

    David Airlie has sent out a notice that soon he'll try to go forth with a pull request that will cause more API/ABI breakage for the X.Org Server...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwOTI

  • #2
    Link to the message is broken, should be :

    http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...ay/031395.html

    Comment


    • #3
      bridgman are the fglrx devs looking at this already or they ignoring it until the server releases? And get the fglrx for the HD2000-HD4000 an Update?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Nille View Post
        bridgman are the fglrx devs looking at this already or they ignoring it until the server releases?
        My bet is: They account for the ABI changes rather quickly but the 3+ month release cycle is the minimum time people have to wait for it.

        Originally posted by Nille View Post
        And get the fglrx for the HD2000-HD4000 an Update?
        That would be a first. I'd say no way this is going to happen.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by entropy View Post
          My bet is: They account for the ABI changes rather quickly but the 3+ month release cycle is the minimum time people have to wait for it.
          I know the internal cycles so its not an problem with it if we get the Support in 3 Month from now on. But 3 month or longer after the new server release sux.

          Originally posted by entropy View Post
          That would be a first. I'd say no way this is going to happen.
          I hope the bring an Update. I mean i don't need an monthly Update but for kernel/xserver releases i want an Update. if it's happen like the R300-r500 Series AMD dies for me. And no the OpenSource Driver is not an alternative if i want the performance.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Nille View Post
            I know the internal cycles so its not an problem with it if we get the Support in 3 Month from now on. But 3 month or longer after the new server release sux.
            I hope the bring an Update. I mean i don't need an monthly Update but for kernel/xserver releases i want an Update. if it's happen like the R300-r500 Series AMD dies for me. And no the OpenSource Driver is not an alternative if i want the performance.
            I agree. While I'm currently running the open driver on my 4850, it would be more than nice to have the option to use Catalyst with upcoming xserver releases.
            Still, I highly doubt they will provide some sort of legacy Catalyst.

            Comment


            • #7
              AMD will be slow

              AMD will be holding back Linux innovation by delaying their drivers as usual.

              AMD is always slow to update their driver everytime there is a new X.org server release.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hmm... yet another phoronix article with the obligatory negative slant on everything.

                I thought beer was supposed to cheer people up and add optimism?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I thought beer was supposed to cheer people up and add optimism?
                  The optimism is only temporary

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    X.Org API changes too fast in my opinion. Changes should be more conservative I think (like in a MS OS'es). In current situation NV/AMD should provide some open source module, which will be a bridge between X.Org and a driver API. It will be allow community to add a support for a new X.Org releases on own hand. Only really big changes in a X.Org, will require re-design of a "bridge" module by a NV/AMD.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X