Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server To See More API/ABI Breakage

Phoronix: X.Org Server To See More API/ABI Breakage

David Airlie has sent out a notice that soon he'll try to go forth with a pull request that will cause more API/ABI breakage for the X.Org Server...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwOTI

Link to the message is broken, should be :

http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...ay/031395.html

Comment

bridgman are the fglrx devs looking at this already or they ignoring it until the server releases? And get the fglrx for the HD2000-HD4000 an Update?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        bridgman are the fglrx devs looking at this already or they ignoring it until the server releases?
        My bet is: They account for the ABI changes rather quickly but the 3+ month release cycle is the minimum time people have to wait for it.

And get the fglrx for the HD2000-HD4000 an Update?
        That would be a first. I'd say no way this is going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
          My bet is: They account for the ABI changes rather quickly but the 3+ month release cycle is the minimum time people have to wait for it.
          I know the internal cycles so its not an problem with it if we get the Support in 3 Month from now on. But 3 month or longer after the new server release sux.

Originally posted by entropy View Post
          That would be a first. I'd say no way this is going to happen.
          I hope the bring an Update. I mean i don't need an monthly Update but for kernel/xserver releases i want an Update. if it's happen like the R300-r500 Series AMD dies for me. And no the OpenSource Driver is not an alternative if i want the performance.

Comment

I know the internal cycles so its not an problem with it if we get the Support in 3 Month from now on. But 3 month or longer after the new server release sux.
            I hope the bring an Update. I mean i don't need an monthly Update but for kernel/xserver releases i want an Update. if it's happen like the R300-r500 Series AMD dies for me. And no the OpenSource Driver is not an alternative if i want the performance.
            I agree. While I'm currently running the open driver on my 4850, it would be more than nice to have the option to use Catalyst with upcoming xserver releases.
            Still, I highly doubt they will provide some sort of legacy Catalyst.

Comment

AMD will be slow

AMD will be holding back Linux innovation by delaying their drivers as usual.

AMD is always slow to update their driver everytime there is a new X.org server release.

Comment

Hmm... yet another phoronix article with the obligatory negative slant on everything.

I thought beer was supposed to cheer people up and add optimism?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I thought beer was supposed to cheer people up and add optimism?
                  The optimism is only temporary

Comment

X.Org API changes too fast in my opinion. Changes should be more conservative I think (like in a MS OS'es). In current situation NV/AMD should provide some open source module, which will be a bridge between X.Org and a driver API. It will be allow community to add a support for a new X.Org releases on own hand. Only really big changes in a X.Org, will require re-design of a "bridge" module by a NV/AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X