Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM Publishes New Universal Linux Graphics Driver

Phoronix: ARM Publishes New Universal Linux Graphics Driver

ARM has published a new open-source X.Org DDX Linux graphics driver while working to enable support for their next-generation ARM Mali T6xx graphics core...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwNDU

Kernel driver

Cool.

How about a universal ARM kernel drive, so it can work with Wayland?

By the way, this is pretty awesome for Ubuntu on Android.

Comment

Hopefully this news make it much easier to release Ubuntu's Arm builds on Arm based devices. I'm specifically interested in Allwinner A10 being fully supported so that Ubuntu runs on Ainol tablets and XBMC can run on say the Mele A2000.

Comment

"...with the device-specific bits being in the respective DRM driver and OpenGLES/EGL library."

In the driver okay But in the OpenGL ES and EGL library?
        (I really hope this is just the functions for the device naming and the usual stuff.)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Cool.

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
          Hopefully this news make it much easier to release Ubuntu's Arm builds on Arm based devices. I'm specifically interested in Allwinner A10 being fully supported so that Ubuntu runs on Ainol tablets and XBMC can run on say the Mele A2000.
          This code will not give you free 2d or 3d acceleration. I am not sure to what extent the Samsung Exynos has a blitter and to what extent it has been made free. And as for free 3d support... Well... Arm is not delivering it, but others are, luckily.

Comment

There is a lot of stuff going on lately that is not really driving an actual piece of hardware, right?
            Umm. I no likey.

I'd rather see the real driver operating the very hardware completely. I mean, I can have modesetting with xf86-video-vesa. But to actually work with your hardware you need some 2d/3d acceleration. I hope this will also come along the pipeline.
            Especially in the embedded sector it's still a real pain. All that imagination tech stuff... Last year TI people were having a lecture on Berlin Linux Days and they praised the great powers of their media platform ... until I asked them about all that img-tec chips used on these beagleboards and the driver problems.

I hate it when people try to sell me stuff that won't work in the end. I hope we won't have another VIA-like story again.
            I wonder why big vendors (e.g. google with Android) is so lax with the driver issues.

Comment

Actually, the VIA story is about a lack of clue and a vastly dwindling marketshare, and in the end, lack of resources for investing into decent driver or, for that matter, hardware development. VIA is irrelevant in every single way at this time, and there is simply no hope. There are quite a few other histories out there where the vendor is actively malign or not in control of the less well-meaning parts of its organization, and where the hardware actually is quite relevant still.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
                This code will not give you free 2d or 3d acceleration. I am not sure to what extent the Samsung Exynos has a blitter and to what extent it has been made free. And as for free 3d support... Well... Arm is not delivering it, but others are, luckily.
                Why does Arm need to be so restrictive about support for their graphics chip blocks. Simply release proprietary Linux drivers or give the open source community the details on how to control the chip. Wow, they may even spur on sales...

Comment

Cool.

Even cooler, Linux on ARM-based phones, like the sadly killed Nokia N900.

Comment

Cool.

It's only one half of the, er, picture. On the desktop, you have a fully integrated display controller, where your Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPU does both your 3D acceleration as well as communicating with the actual display and scanning out the pixels. In the embedded market, every SoC (TI OMAP, Qualcomm, etc) other than the NVIDIA Tegra has their own display block, so ARM can only deliver the 3D acceleration part. The vendors still need to provide the driver for the display controller.

Comment

ok, so, VIA graphics is dead right? they sold the IP to HTC (whitch seems less and less relivent as a company every day) and havent looke back since as far as i know.
                      cirix. the intel x86 liscence they aquired forever ago when they bought some company was a tiny competator up untill about 5-7 years ago as far as i know. they made some tiny tiny embedded boards that back then were prety cool little integrated boards. but when intel came out with atom, VIA x86 effectivly died a silent death.
                      and via arm, seems they basicaly spun that off into a company called wondermedia. i have a tiny netbook that has a wondermedia WM8650 arm soc in it. a year and a half ago it was a prety cool little thing, but as of right now, it has a weak arm cpu with basicaly a 1995 era graphics controller and some usb 2.0 hosts, and they havent really come up with anything more impressive than that recently. now you can go out and get a raspberry pi that is basicaly the same thing but with an actual 3d graphics chip for 25 usd, so VIA's wondermedia isn't doing so much right now.

other that i dont think VIA has much of anyhting going on for them. they use to have a market in the x86 northbridge and southbridge market but intel and amd killed that arena. it really sucks because they were doing all this all in one chip integration way before intel or amd were, but they just werent keeping competative enough to stay relevent enough.

Comment

What do people think that Google maybe paying or asked ARM to not be open about their architectures? Why else has ARM not come to the table in past to dished up the public drivers on Linux.

Comment

WonderMedia has these weird combos like WM8710 - old cpu core paired with GLES2.0 GPU and 1080p video accel, 1Gbps ethernet and crypto accel.

Had that been a Cortex-A9 instead of ARM11 it'd be actually nice. As it is it's cpu-bound in just about anything (though beats the Pi :P).

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                            Phoronix: ARM Publishes New Universal Linux Graphics Driver

ARM has published a new open-source X.Org DDX Linux graphics driver while working to enable support for their next-generation ARM Mali T6xx graphics core...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwNDU
                            Why is this X based? I was under the impression Android used drm exclusively. Even maemo was non-X based iirc (matchbox, or something, though matchbox might just be the wm).

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                              Why is this X based? I was under the impression Android used drm exclusively. Even maemo was non-X based iirc (matchbox, or something, though matchbox might just be the wm).
                              Why shouldn't it be X based? It's not intended for Android, it's for conventional Linux systems. X.org and Wayland are two options available for Linux right now (with Wayland being the future direction). Window manager is not the same as the graphic server. X.org (and Wayland) are graphical servers. Maemo uses X.org: http://maemo.org/packages/view/xorg/

Comment

Working...
                              X