Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Look At Why Linux Graphics Drivers Have Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Look At Why Linux Graphics Drivers Have Issues

    Phoronix: A Look At Why Linux Graphics Drivers Have Issues

    Here's an interesting look at the state of the Ubuntu bug count as it concerns Linux graphics driver issues...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5OTE

  • #2
    So, where's the "why" that you promised in the title? I'm just seeing a distribution of graphics related bugs over some modules over time (the latter being pointless without a constant user number, IMO).

    Did you listen to the session where this chart was presented? The article is a bit stingy with information.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, if this is to have any statistical significance, at least give us the ratio of total bugs.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LinuxAffenMann View Post
        So, where's the "why" that you promised in the title? I'm just seeing a distribution of graphics related bugs over some modules over time (the latter being pointless without a constant user number, IMO).

        Did you listen to the session where this chart was presented? The article is a bit stingy with information.
        Damn! was about to write the same
        Maybe we're too stupid to understand Larabel.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
          Damn! was about to write the same
          Maybe we're too stupid to understand Larabel.
          It's simple: drivers have issues, because there are bugs.

          Comment


          • #6
            Intel is the most bugged, but I already knew it
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

            Comment


            • #7
              uhhhhm...so why do they have issues? also why does it look like that all drivers have peaks at the same time everytime?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                Intel is the most bugged, but I already knew it
                I would just say, it's mostly used.

                One thing I noticed: If you don't want to use MS Windows, stay away from Nvidia hardware...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Where are they getting these (ridiculously low) numbers? At the moment, there are 289 bugs for fglrx-installer: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...glrx-installer

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Read the chart's title...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LinuxAffenMann View Post
                      Read the chart's title...
                      Oh, thanks.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                        uhhhhm...so why do they have issues? also why does it look like that all drivers have peaks at the same time everytime?
                        The chart is cumulative so maybe you are looking at it the wrong way.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by disi View Post
                          I would just say, it's mostly used.

                          One thing I noticed: If you don't want to use MS Windows, stay away from Nvidia hardware...
                          What? Im using 260 gtx with linux whole time, but only when I had 4770 I had to boot into wincrap.

                          So my experience is opposite: If you donīt want to use MS, stay away from AMD hardware. This does not include Optimus though, which in essence is Nvidias greatest fail. :/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                            What? Im using 260 gtx with linux whole time, but only when I had 4770 I had to boot into wincrap.

                            So my experience is opposite: If you donīt want to use MS, stay away from AMD hardware. This does not include Optimus though, which in essence is Nvidias greatest fail. :/
                            Exactly - NVidia has very good drivers which are *almost* on par with Windows ones feature-wise (except for DirectX-specific features).

                            Open source drivers seem to be lagging - if not for NVidia, Linux as a platform would be much less attractive to people who are interested in realtime graphics (not that it's particularly attractive at the moment, but it could have been worse).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Interesting chart. The article is short on analysis and meaningful hypothesis. The chart colors appear to have been chosen by a tetrachromat.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X