Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Java-Based X11 Server Comes To Android

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Java-Based X11 Server Comes To Android

    Phoronix: A Java-Based X11 Server Comes To Android

    An X Server written against the X11 protocol in Java has been made available for Google's Android platform...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA2NzA

  • #2
    I generally don't bash Java or Android, but this sounds like it's going to be the slowest thing ever imaginable.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by vertex2 View Post
      I generally don't bash Java or Android, but this sounds like it's going to be the slowest thing ever imaginable.
      I dont usually bash stupid comments, but its not Java. Its Dalvik. Huge difference.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's a good thing he didn't ask you then, isn't it?


        Personally I know this is going to kick ass. Now finally I can run Debian in a chroot on my phone with a native display manager. No more having to use VNC if I want gui programs.

        Comment


        • #5
          X11 is a big protocol, but perhaps not all parts of it need to be implemented.
          The legacy parts that aren't used on modern systems.

          What about Wayland on Android?

          Comment


          • #6
            There already existed several X servers in Java, such as:
            http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx/

            Might've been easier to port one of those instead of starting afresh methinks

            Comment


            • #7
              Wow

              All I can say is wow!

              Sheer bloodymindedness indeed!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by drag View Post
                Personally I know this is going to kick ass. Now finally I can run Debian in a chroot on my phone with a native display manager. No more having to use VNC if I want gui programs.
                I do think that you hit the nail on the head!!!!
                The fact is that the missing links are already implemented.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Limited use

                  But this is only an implementation of X11.
                  It is not a full feature-complete implementation, it still has work to do left. But it is promising.

                  But it does not have Xlib, so you can't run any applications on it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lzap View Post
                    I dont usually bash stupid comments, but its not Java. Its Dalvik. Huge difference.
                    Indeed.

                    Originally posted by Wikipedia
                    However, tests performed on ARM devices by Oracle with standard non-graphical Java benchmarks on both Android 2.2 and Java SE embedded (both based on Java SE 6) showed that Android 2.2 was 2 to 3 times slower than Java SE embedded.
                    Sorry, couldn't resist trolling.

                    When is someone going to write an X11 server in Python or Perl?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X