Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposals To Split KMS & GPU Drivers, 2D Kernel API

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
    The only way that one can have a KMS driver is to include it as a part of the kernel itself. Hence the module must be GPL licensed. Hence it canot be a closed source blob.
    Yes, but this opens the great possibility of companies like AMD and Nvidia modifying their binary blob driver to be only a GPU driver while using the same GPL KMS driver as the opensource drivers. This would be possible and desired because:
    • The KMS code could became more stable/mature, gainigng more users and developers
    • Companies would be able to keep their precious GPU code* closed, while sharing work with the community on the more basic mode setting code;

    * Companies have stated in the past that they wouldn't be able to opensource their drivers even if they wanted because they contain code/technologies liscenced from other companies and not belonging to themselves. That is one of the reasons AMD started a new driver from scratch when they decided they needed an open source driver a few years back.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by faustop View Post
      Companies have stated in the past that they wouldn't be able to opensource their drivers even if they wanted because they contain code/technologies liscenced from other companies and not belonging to themselves.
      This is the precise reason why we do NOT want to run binary blobs from AMD or Nvidia.

      Originally posted by faustop View Post
      That is one of the reasons AMD started a new driver from scratch when they decided they needed an open source driver a few years back.
      Nitpick: AMD did not start a new driver, they merely published programming specs. Here they are:

      http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/

      The Radeon open source driver is code written from information (facts documented in the above programming spec) by community effort (including some input from AMD employees) and hosted at Xorg. This code belongs to the community, the community holds the copyright, not AMD. In this respect this open source driver is not like the Intel open source driver. The Intel open source driver is written by Intel, owned by Intel, the copyrights are held by Intel. The equivalent scenario is NOT the case for the Radeon open source driver, this driver does NOT belong to AMD/ATI.

      Hence, code/technologies liscenced from other companies have no impact at all on the Radeon open source driver.

      This is a very, very important point in the context outlined in the first statement from you quoted above.
      Last edited by hal2k1; 02-24-2012, 06:54 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        1: It crasehs before networking is even up
        2: I already reported a bug and included as much information as possible including a demonstration video. Nobody in the freedesktop bugzilla seems to care however.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by asdx
          When you get a crash you should try to SSH into the affected machine and run dmesg, get all the logs you can and file a bug.

          But make sure you have sshd in the affected machine.
          Some people want to get work done and don't want to spend 45 minutes a day using two machines and SSH to debug someone else's broken code. The OS community has shown that it's unable to field a reasonable team of graphics driver developers, so now it's up to the users to do the work. That might fly among the hobbiests (I've done my share), but it's not really a good way to run a software project.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by siride View Post
            Some people want to get work done and don't want to spend 45 minutes a day using two machines and SSH to debug someone else's broken code. The OS community has shown that it's unable to field a reasonable team of graphics driver developers, so now it's up to the users to do the work. That might fly among the hobbiests (I've done my share), but it's not really a good way to run a software project.
            sorry I missed the bit where you paid me for the software you feel so entitled to.

            Dave.

            Comment


            • #21
              If the KMS drivers are separated from the graphics drivers, couldn't the same KMS driver be used by both the open source and the closed drivers? If so, Companies like AMD, NVIDIA, etc. might all provide KMS drivers so that the graphics driver devs don't have to. This would free up time and resources for additional graphics driver development. Wouldn't this be a great thing? (Assuming my the answer to the first question is a yes, of course.)

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by airlied View Post
                sorry I missed the bit where you paid me for the software you feel so entitled to.

                Dave.
                And I've, for years, missed the part where there's no longer an expectation that software should work.

                In any case, I mostly use Windows now. Both problems solved.

                Comment

                Working...
                X