Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell Works Without GPU Driver Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNOME Shell Works Without GPU Driver Support

    Phoronix: GNOME Shell Works Without GPU Driver Support

    As reported on Thursday, GNOME Shell / Mutter no longer requirements OpenGL-accelerated hardware drivers. It's possible to run this GNOME3 desktop with a software back-end via Gallium3D's LLVMpipe...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAxMjI

  • #2
    Maybe they can get around to reducing the CPU consumption of gnome-shell. On my machine it uses an inordinate amount of CPU even though I don't really use it (I have windows maximized on my two monitors and spend most time typing into them).

    Comment


    • #3
      Isn't that surprising? g-shell doesn't have a single feature that needs 3d acceleration.
      It just a poisonous mixture of ideology of keeping up with what others do (aka we have to use composing) and with Gnome decease of feature removal, according to which best computer is that one that has just one button, to turn it off.

      So using LLVMpipe to workaround that stupidity, is just stupid as well.
      Ether g-shell should use at least xrender, or it should actually utilize 3d features.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
        Isn't that surprising? g-shell doesn't have a single feature that needs 3d acceleration.
        It just a poisonous mixture of ideology of keeping up with what others do (aka we have to use composing) and with Gnome decease of feature removal, according to which best computer is that one that has just one button, to turn it off.

        So using LLVMpipe to workaround that stupidity, is just stupid as well.
        Ether g-shell should use at least xrender, or it should actually utilize 3d features.
        Calling other people stupid while obviously not understanding anything is generally known as "trolling". First compositing has nothing to do with 3D rendering. Secondly XRender is not a replacement for OpenGL and last it does use quite a lot of "3D features" (note "3D features" does not mean "rotating cube").

        Comment


        • #5
          fallback mode isn't meant to be a GNOME 2-by-stealth for Shell refuseniks, it's purely an attempt to accommodate hardware which doesn't support Shell.
          -.-

          why not? it would make so many people happy :P Are they afraid nobody will use their great and awesome and user-friendly shell anymore once they make the 'fallback mode' a usable alternative?

          Comment


          • #6
            As reported on Thursday, GNOME Shell / Mutter no longer requirements OpenGL-accelerated hardware drivers.
            Hit me if Im wrong, but isnt it "requires"?

            Comment


            • #7
              Long live the fallback mode

              As long as there are people who love the fallback mode there will be packages for it. Fallback mode will prevail. Take a look at mint, they are doing it right.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by drago01 View Post
                Calling other people stupid while obviously not understanding anything is generally known as "trolling". First compositing has nothing to do with 3D rendering. Secondly XRender is not a replacement for OpenGL and last it does use quite a lot of "3D features" (note "3D features" does not mean "rotating cube").
                Nope. it just so happens that when person runs out of arguments (or has none to begin with) it accuses the other person of trolling.
                Note that unlike you I have never accused anybody here or elsewhere of trolling. I even say once on a while that I 'troll' because I know I will be labeled as such because of my opinions that I somewhat don't hide.
                Last edited by Maxim Levitsky; 11-06-2011, 07:39 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
                  Nope. it just so happens that when person runs out of arguments (or has none to begin with) it accuses the other person of trolling.
                  So your are accusing other people (me included) as being stupid because of technical decision that you apparently (judging by your comment) do not understand? And then wonder why you are being named a troll?

                  As for arguments you ignored everything and focused on the troll one but anyway I am done here.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just stop. It's very obvious to everybody with half a clue who is the one being blatantly ignorant here.

                    Being a idiot on the internet on purpose is being a troll.
                    Being a idiot because you have no clue what is going on or what you are talking about is just being a idiot.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      "Speaking of GNOME, be sure to participate in the 2011 GNOME user survey"

                      Seriously, don't bother. It's one of the most ill-conceived surveys I've ever seen.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by calum View Post
                        "Speaking of GNOME, be sure to participate in the 2011 GNOME user survey"

                        Seriously, don't bother. It's one of the most ill-conceived surveys I've ever seen.
                        Only in the sense that the output isn't the easiest to parse, and, even then, you can fairly easily filter the noise (bring back gnome2, switch to qt, blah, blah, blah).
                        Aside from that, some kind of survey is probably a good idea. One would have to be completely oblivious (I'm not saying you are, BTW) to not see the extreme emotions GS has brought about, and it seems like that would be easier to deal with if there were SOME kind of actual data. A few users here or there just isn't enough.
                        Now, one could make the argument that the users don't know what's best (and I understand that) but if a large data set comes back that says that certain UI choices aren't working for a large percentage of users, then that seems that the developers don't always know what is best either.
                        BTW, I use GS. I've been using it for almost two years now (well, when it wasn't broken). I really like the original design doc and some of the ideas in GS.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by liam View Post
                          BTW, I use GS. I've been using it for almost two years now (well, when it wasn't broken). I really like the original design doc and some of the ideas in GS.
                          You know I too. I also like some features of GS. If it were developed by normal people that actually consider user opinions, it could have being awesome.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            But is this solution possible with

                            Is this solution possible with accelerated ati drivers. it would be nice to use this for gnome 3 and the accelerated ati fglrx for games and movies

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
                              You know I too. I also like some features of GS. If it were developed by normal people that actually consider user opinions, it could have being awesome.
                              I don't really care about the type of people who are working on it, only that it does what I want. Mostly, it does. My biggest disappointment with it has been that not enough change was instituted. We got a significant change in how things look but not enough in how it behaves. I am hopeful some thing will be resolved b/c I think the JS idea was a really smart choice, and that makes widespread experimentation so much easier. I just hope some of it makes it upstream b/c the desktop just isn't as efficient as I'd like, and it has nothing to do with lack of panels, window lists, menus, or anything that was in previously in gnome/kde/E17.
                              The good is that the community around GS is extremely vibrant.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X