Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafting Plans For X12, The X11 Successor

Phoronix: Drafting Plans For X12, The X11 Successor

While it's likely in the next two to three years that the Wayland Display Server will play a pivotal role on the Linux desktop, the X11 Server isn't going away immediately. There's still legacy X applications that must run, uncertainty about what Solaris/BSD will do for their display server due to their graphics driver shortcomings, and other uncharted issues. It's possible that X12, an improved version of the X11 protocol, could even be developed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a waste of time...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/X12
        This is not to say that there's an X12 project. There isn't. But if one day there is...
        'nuff said?

Comment

Hurd will be happy about this. Don't need to hurry!

Comment

A random guy edited a wiki page, big effing deal!

Could someone please explain this "network trancparency" fetish? Why would I wish my "next-generation" X12-based smartphone to be network transparent? How would that be better than VNC et al?

From my POV, the Wayland approach to GPU framebuffer composition appears an order of magnitude more efficient to anything involving composition in system memory over a network socket. Given the choice between full GPU acceleration and network transparency, I'd pick the first every time.

Besides, as GTK3 demonstrated there are ways to render seamlessly over the network at the toolkit level, without involving X.

Comment

Seriously? Edward Cullen?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                A random guy edited a wiki page, big effing deal!

Could someone please explain this "network trancparency" fetish? Why would I wish my "next-generation" X12-based smartphone to be network transparent? How would that be better than VNC et al?

From my POV, the Wayland approach to GPU framebuffer composition appears an order of magnitude more efficient to anything involving composition in system memory over a network socket. Given the choice between full GPU acceleration and network transparency, I'd pick the first every time.

Besides, as GTK3 demonstrated there are ways to render seamlessly over the network at the toolkit level, without involving X.
                Another idiot who doesn't understand how X11 and network transparency.

There's nothing about network transparency that says you can't share buffers like in Wayland when the client and server are on the same machine. Just like X11 currently uses fast local sockets and shared memory for communication on the local machine, X12 could do the same with buffers. In fact, X11 already uses shared memory to send large amounts of data between the client and server. It's a little clunky, but it could be cleaned up.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
                  Another idiot who doesn't understand how X11 and network transparency.

There's nothing about network transparency that says you can't share buffers like in Wayland when the client and server are on the same machine. Just like X11 currently uses fast local sockets and shared memory for communication on the local machine, X12 could do the same with buffers. In fact, X11 already uses shared memory to send large amounts of data between the client and server. It's a little clunky, but it could be cleaned up.
                  Another idiot dreaming of a reincarnation of the dying X11.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    Another idiot dreaming of a reincarnation of the dying X11.
                    I'm a realist who doesn't think total rewrites with major semantic changes are the way to go with complex infrastructure software.

Comment

Working...
                    X