AMD Radeon HD 6450

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    The HD6450 DDR3 is slower than the GPU in a fully-configred Llano but remember that Llano has the *fastest* integrated GPU out there not the slowest. If you compare it with other integrated GPUs (Ontario + competitors products) then it makes a lot more sense..
    no sorry bridgman to NOT buy an AMD LLano system and buy a competitors product makes NO sense!

Yes, memory makes a big difference. The performance delta between DDR3 and GDDR5 varies wildly with application but GDDR5 is often 20-40% faster for the same memory size and memory bus. Benchmarks will often show a higher delta but note that the GDDR5 cards are sometimes clocked higher as well.
    and how much XDR2 matters? maybe the same 20-40% ?

IIRC a GDDR5 card with 64-bit memory bus is still cheaper to build than a DDR3 card with 128-bit memory bus.
    really? i remember the hd4850 vs hd4870... maybe now gddr5 is cheap in the past it was expensiv.

and build an 64bit memory bus system with XDR2 vram is expensiv to...

but yes right now gddr5 is a must have for a 64bit bus card.

Comment

Yeah, the problem is that some fairly large percentage of buyers, maybe 99.9999999% or so (plus or minus a couple of '9's), still seem to make buying decisions based on the amount of VRAM rather than the performance characteristics of the memory. [...]
      On the other hand, having too little memory can result in a fairly sharp performance drop at very high resolutions and this issue seems to be fairly well understood, so one could make a case that spending on amount of memory future-proofs you in a way that buying faster memory can not. By that logic a low end DX11 card with 1GB of DDR3 isn't that bad an idea, although it's not the tradeoff I would make.
      AMD still not sell any Arma2 proved Desktop card thats because arma2 needs more than 2,5gb vram!

my frend prove this with an gtx580 with 3gb vram.

on amd side you have to buy an 4gb vram fireGL card to play the game arm2.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        AMD still not sell any Arma2 proved Desktop card thats because arma2 needs more than 2,5gb vram!

my frend prove this with an gtx580 with 3gb vram.

on amd side you have to buy an 4gb vram fireGL card to play the game arm2.

What? This not the game? https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Arma2 Cause in came out years ago, and has much more modest requirements then you claim. Turn down the AA settings... If the game is really as heavy as you claim then why does no review site use it as a benchmark? Unigine Heaven and Crysis/Warhead seem to be ubiquitous as the heaviest benchmarks but according to you this game is even heavier?

Though I will say, why was there no Eyefinity6 version of the HD6970?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          What? This not the game? https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Arma2 Cause in came out years ago, and has much more modest requirements then you claim. Turn down the AA settings... If the game is really as heavy as you claim then why does no review site use it as a benchmark? Unigine Heaven and Crysis/Warhead seem to be ubiquitous as the heaviest benchmarks but according to you this game is even heavier?
          sure this is arma2. and my friend buy 2 pices of gtx580 with 3GB usable vram on every single pice.
          and he benchmark it and watch vram tools.... the game needs more than 2,5gb vram!

means a 2gb vram card only show bad gray areas in some cases because the card can not hold the game textures in vram.

and has much more modest requirements then you claim.
          this modest requirement are only a trick to sell the game.

in real world you need a PC like this: 12 cores Opteron 6000 or an intel dualsocket system with 6 core cpus with 64gb of RAM + a 3-4GB vram gtx580 or FireGL card.

and you are doomed in a arma2-wafare-online-fight if you don't have a proper system like this

but according to you this game is even heavier?

sure arma2 is heavier!

Arma2 beats a 12core-64gb ram-4gb vram firegl Quat-crossfireX system!

Comment

Then as before, if it is so heavy then why is it not used as a benchmark on any review site I've ever seen? It sounds like it would actually be a perfect candidate.

Comment

Then as before, if it is so heavy then why is it not used as a benchmark on any review site I've ever seen? It sounds like it would actually be a perfect candidate.
              if you search for it there are benchmarks with arma2...

but hey its not the most popular game.

but its the game with the most hardware hunger!

Comment

Meh, it sucks even for an HTPC, better to go with the A series chips so you can at least play...
                I guess your definition of an HTPC differs from mine, because I see HTPC's as low power stuff focused on playing audio/video, and not really used for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  I guess your definition of an HTPC differs from mine, because I see HTPC's as low power stuff focused on playing audio/video, and not really used for gaming.
                  Yes, and while an A-series may be powerful enough for a lot of HTPC's, a lot of people expect them to be able to do realtime transcoding. That can require a faster CPU than you get with the A-series, especially if you are expecting it to serve multiple streams across a household.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                    if you search for it there are benchmarks with arma2...

but hey its not the most popular game.

but its the game with the most hardware hunger!
                    So teh google no real review/benchmark site using it, 1 off youtube and forum posts don't count. But I did fid this little nugget http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1575096 So apparently it's a horrible buggy turd with schizophrenic artists running the gamut of 8-bit to Pixar level CGI detail at the same time...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      Simple, you can repurpose any machine in the last 10 YEARS to be a dumb playback console, hell, you'd be better served with an old Tivo, but if you want to do more then just watch TV you need something more.

If dumb, low power and cheap are what you want then get a $35 Raspberry Pi when they come out http://www.raspberrypi.org/?p=152 For everything else theres the A8-3850 w/ huge fanless block, 4-8Gb of 2.4Ghz ram, an SSD, a Seasonic X series fanless 90% of the time PSU and maybe some super quiet 800 or 1200RPM 120mm fluid bearing fans. I'll still be damn quiet, if not completely silent, just kick the video in from ye olde backup server. Hell get a Gigabyte UD4 mobo and be able to charge your phone off it when it's off as well.

So yes, I'd rather have the PC in the Home Theater instead of just a dumb video console.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                        Yes, and while an A-series may be powerful enough for a lot of HTPC's, a lot of people expect them to be able to do realtime transcoding. That can require a faster CPU than you get with the A-series, especially if you are expecting it to serve multiple streams across a household.
                        Yea, it'll be a different story if AMD holds to their claim of spinning out the UDV hardware in a way that they can allow the OSS drivers to make use of it, the GPU transcoding in windows is pretty good already.

Comment

Does this count? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121430

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayofEvil View Post
                            Close, but not quite, that beast takes up 3 slots, the Eyefinity6 cards only needed the 2, and could be a single slot card if you put a full coverage water block on it.

Comment

There is the 6870 Eyefinity6
                              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131447

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                                The HD*870 seris is no longer top end, the HD6 series bumped the top end single GPU card to the HD6970, if you're gonna push 6 screens off one GPU something tells me you want all the grunt you can get.

Comment

Working...
                                X