Smooth Scrolling Targeted For X.Org Server 1.12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Blackstar, that's a good explanation that makes sense. It's the "smooth scrolling" nonsense of IE that I can't stand. It only makes sense with input devices you describe, though, and not with discrete "clicking" wheels, IMHO.
    This is mostly a personal preference, but pretty much agreed.

I'm typing this in Chrome which doesn't have smooth animation but does have smooth scrolling (Windows/OSX-only, for now). When I scroll with a clicky mouse, I see discrete steps (3 lines per step); when I use my laptop's touchpad, I get perfectly smooth scrolling that corresponds perfectly to my hand movement - awesome!

Unfortunately, this smooth scrolling doesn't work on Linux right now: I scroll with a single smooth gesture on the touchpad, but I get multiple discrete jumps just as if I was using a clicky mouse. This is what's getting fixed (and the patches can't land soon enough - Windows have supported smooth scrolling since 2001!)

Comment

Even if it's fast, there is always a lag. Lag makes it feel sluggish. If you scroll a lot, you spend a significant amount of time waiting for the animation instead of doing what you want to do.

I scroll when I'm reading, and scrolling animation interferes with reading.

But I guess that the young generation who grew up with GUIs sees things differently and I might be showing my age.
      I can't stand not using smooth scrolling, especially if I am slowly scrolling down a page to read. Regular scrolling is too jarring and it distracts me. Smooth scrolling is the best thing ever for me whether I'm using a mouse or touch or whatever.

Smooth scrolling in linux has been very spotty for me. For example firefox or opera with smooth scrolling enabled is terrible compared to in windows.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
        Smooth scrolling in linux has been very spotty for me. For example firefox or opera with smooth scrolling enabled is terrible compared to in windows.
        That's mostly due to the fact that 2d acceleration on Linux sucks, compared to Windows. There's little you can do about that, other than use a different compositing/non-compositing manager, video card and/or drivers.

Comment

RealNC, 12000 bogomips is powerful enough.
          Nope, it isn't. It's the graphics driver that matters. You can have a billion bogomips and still have scrolling lag If you don't, pressing pagedown is just as fast as with scrolling disabled. When I press pageup/down, the animation is *extremely* fast.

Comment

If I press PgUp, it should be instantaneous. I don't want it animated.

Comment

If I press PgUp, it should be instantaneous. I don't want it animated.
              And that is the statement I wanted to pull out of you It's about personal taste, not about an inherent problem of animated scrolling

Comment

As long as there is animation (movement over time), there will be some lag, it won't be instantaneous, however fast it is. That's the point I was making, but this is largely irrelevant.

Apparently, this refers to faster scrolling when using input devices that do not use (noticeably) discrete steps, such as touchpads, so there is a legitimate use for this technology, besides the annoying animation, so all is cool.

Comment

No, it's not cool. We want you to disable all the compositing effects you may have enabled in kwin. Or keep quiet about instantaneous things.

Comment

Per pixel scrolling is the bomb when using touch input. Works well on the Mac, though oddly browsers do their own thang. (Opera being the last to get their per pixel scrolling correctly implemented.)

Now that I have a Mac I haven't used linux in ages, but it's still nice to see progress being made

Comment

Working...
                    X