No announcement yet.

X Server 1.11 Breaks The Video Driver ABI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So....people are worrying about an ABI break for something slated to be released in August. We'll say 3 months away. Ok. For all the bias against AMD, I don't think their devs will be just sitting idle for 3 months, and neither will nvidia's. Lots of hype over absolutely nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
      So....people are worrying about an ABI break for something slated to be released in August. We'll say 3 months away. Ok. For all the bias against AMD, I don't think their devs will be just sitting idle for 3 months, and neither will nvidia's. Lots of hype over absolutely nothing.
      Who says that this will be the only issue with X server? New kernel release may also break things up for these graphics drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
        Who says that this will be the only issue with X server? New kernel release may also break things up for these graphics drivers.
        Doesn't what you're saying boil down to: "Unreleased driver may be incompatible with unreleased X server and unreleased kernel."

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
          Doesn't what you're saying boil down to: "Unreleased driver may be incompatible with unreleased X server and unreleased kernel."
          You can say it even shorter: "The next release of Fedora". As long as I've used Fedora, new releases are *always* incompatible with Catalyst , reasons mainly being newest kernel and/or newest (sometimes even beta) X server. Had to use Radeon driver until AMD caught up with Catalyst. Considering that year ago Radeon driver was barely usable, this wasn't a pleasant option. The aforementioned reasons are why I switched to Arch linux.

Comment

Yeah, right...

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
            "...for those using the proprietary graphics drivers... you may be stuck waiting a couple of months for support."
            I suppose that should be phrased as "... developers of X might be stuck waiting a couple of months for users."

Comment

Working...
            X