Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X Server 1.11 Breaks The Video Driver ABI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    So....people are worrying about an ABI break for something slated to be released in August. We'll say 3 months away. Ok. For all the bias against AMD, I don't think their devs will be just sitting idle for 3 months, and neither will nvidia's. Lots of hype over absolutely nothing.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by mirv View Post
      So....people are worrying about an ABI break for something slated to be released in August. We'll say 3 months away. Ok. For all the bias against AMD, I don't think their devs will be just sitting idle for 3 months, and neither will nvidia's. Lots of hype over absolutely nothing.
      Who says that this will be the only issue with X server? New kernel release may also break things up for these graphics drivers.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
        Who says that this will be the only issue with X server? New kernel release may also break things up for these graphics drivers.
        Doesn't what you're saying boil down to: "Unreleased driver may be incompatible with unreleased X server and unreleased kernel."

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by archibald View Post
          Doesn't what you're saying boil down to: "Unreleased driver may be incompatible with unreleased X server and unreleased kernel."
          You can say it even shorter: "The next release of Fedora". As long as I've used Fedora, new releases are *always* incompatible with Catalyst , reasons mainly being newest kernel and/or newest (sometimes even beta) X server. Had to use Radeon driver until AMD caught up with Catalyst. Considering that year ago Radeon driver was barely usable, this wasn't a pleasant option. The aforementioned reasons are why I switched to Arch linux.

          Comment


          • #20
            Yeah, right...

            Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
            "...for those using the proprietary graphics drivers... you may be stuck waiting a couple of months for support."
            I suppose that should be phrased as "... developers of X might be stuck waiting a couple of months for users."

            Comment

            Working...
            X