Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The X.Org Plans In Ubuntu 11.04, Again

Phoronix: The X.Org Plans In Ubuntu 11.04, Again

While we may see Canonical use Wayland beginning with Ubuntu 11.10, there's still the Ubuntu 11.04 release coming out before that we have to look forward to with the new Unity desktop interface. Here's some of the key X.Org details for Ubuntu 11.04, a.k.a. the Natty Narwhal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why do they stick so eagerly to r600c?

Seriously, it works with one glitch here: only the upper left corner of the notification is rounded and there's no shading next to the lower and right edge.
    A few weeks ago I got random crashes when using apps through ssh -X but those seem to be gone.
    Others report that the speed is also up to par with classic.
    Plus it might have some n.island stuff by that time.

So why stick to classic in advance? Considering r600g was almost non-existent 3 months ago it might get really great in the next 6.

However, Dave and Jerome disappeared in the last few weeks (no commits for the last 11 and 30 days). In addition, it seems Corbin won't work on it either...
    Any heads-up, guys?

Comment

Considering Ubuntu's target user base, the plans to adopt gallium3d are already pretty aggressive. Canonical might be even more eager for gallium3d if intel was, but intel needs a change in perspective for that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
        Because Ubuntu is not Fedora? (Meaning it's not an experimental, latest pre-beta bleeding edge distro, but rather intended to be solid and stable.) r600g is not considered ready. It's not even beta yet.

Comment

The mailing list message (follow link in the article) actually said that they will go with 600c or 600g depending on what the upstream chooses (presumably for 7.10) :

"Gallium: Will switch to r300g by default; distro-patch in xorg.conf option to switch back to classic. Load classic when KMS is not available. Will go with upstream default for r600g/r600c; this is currently r600c. Will add xorg.conf option to switch."

However, Dave and Jerome disappeared in the last few weeks (no commits for the last 11 and 30 days).
          Kernel Summit followed by LPC, I suspect.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            The mailing list message (follow link in the article) actually said that they will go with 600c or 600g depending on what the upstream chooses (presumably for 7.10) :

"Gallium: Will switch to r300g by default; distro-patch in xorg.conf option to switch back to classic. Load classic when KMS is not available. Will go with upstream default for r600g/r600c; this is currently r600c. Will add xorg.conf option to switch."
            I have to admit that I got careless here. Michael usually mentions such details so I ended up being lazy and did not read the original message. Apologies.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Kernel Summit followed by LPC, I suspect.
            Valid point, I didn't know they were attending.

Thanks for your time!

Comment

I guess I should mention that agd5f is at LPC too. In a perfect world I would be there too, and you wouldn't be hearing from me either
              Test signature

Comment

But in that ideal world I would sit here without a clue, frustrated, depressed, since I have no idea what's wrong. It doesn't sound such an ideal world anymore...

:P

Comment

Sure, but I would be at LPC and blissfully unaware of your suffering
                  Test signature

Comment

The question is, why not to stick?

Seriously, even if the r600g driver had achieved total feature and speed parity with the r600c, it would still lack an important advantage: Wider testing for a longer period of time.

Why throw away this advantage, if the gallium version doesn't offer anything significant over the classic version at the moment? Just to be cool and have the latest? This is the mark of the stupid, or the mazochist(<troll>in case of Fedora users</troll>).

I believe Ubuntu 11.10 will and Mesa of that time frame will use r600g by default, by that time it will be much more tested and feature complete, and it might provide advantages over the classic driver. Until then, sticking with the classic is sane.

Comment

Working...
                    X