Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Tentative Schedule For XDS 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Drago View Post
    Ok, you just dissuaded me
    Or, you can install the latest Gnash (make sure to whipe all your browser cookies!), install some nasty and ugly free (as in freedom) codecs for mpeg playback and play in from YouTube.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Or, you can install the latest Gnash (make sure to whipe all your browser cookies!), install some nasty and ugly free (as in freedom) codecs for mpeg playback and play in from YouTube.
      I meant about Premium subscription ...just kidding.

      Comment


      • #13
        "Documentation or: how a newbie got involved" -> That's interesting and necessary.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
          "Documentation or: how a newbie got involved" -> That's interesting and necessary.
          Yeah I also think the same. One of the ones I'm most interested in. The other is "OpenGL - which functions can developers rely on? " And I also hope to see videos in Theora/WebM available. It's important to support truly free and open formats.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Tsiolkovsky View Post
            It's important to support truly free and open formats.
            That I agree with. But keep in mind that YouTube does bandwith offloading. When Michael would use WebM/Theora, he needs to have some external video stream provider. I bet that if you found a good one, we could get Michael to switch

            Comment


            • #16
              YouTube does WebM, don't they?

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                That I agree with. But keep in mind that YouTube does bandwith offloading. When Michael would use WebM/Theora, he needs to have some external video stream provider. I bet that if you found a good one, we could get Michael to switch
                For non-Premium members all I care about is being able to embed Flash on the page so that the visitors go to the Phoronix page to see the video and while on that page then the Flash ads on that page can also load.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Using flash does allow it to be used legally even by MPEG-LA standards.
                  Flash (the format, NOT the plug-in) has shitty support on Linux and from what I understand is not 100% documented. As someone else mentioned there are potentially patent issues as well. Why on earth promote the use of Flash (again, the format--not the plug-in) when there are three worthwhile alternatives--VP8, Theora and Dirac.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    Flash (the format, NOT the plug-in) has shitty support on Linux and from what I understand is not 100% documented. As someone else mentioned there are potentially patent issues as well. Why on earth promote the use of Flash (again, the format--not the plug-in) when there are three worthwhile alternatives--VP8, Theora and Dirac.
                    When using the flash plug in there is no patent issues at all. It is a licensed solution, I don't like flash either but to imply that i there is no legal way of playing streaming h264 content is absurd.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Also like it or not, flash is more or less a standard which can be found supported almost everywhere already pre-installed. I have nothing against providing other streams as well but the fact remains that a flash stream will be the solution with the greatest accessibility to all.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X