Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Talks For FOSDEM 2010 Still Missing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • X.Org Talks For FOSDEM 2010 Still Missing

    Phoronix: X.Org Talks For FOSDEM 2010 Still Missing

    X@FOSDEM, the X.Org development room that's held at FOSDEM each year, has traditionally been a two day event that runs the duration of this major European free software meeting. This year though it turned into a one day affair, even though there is only one other X.Org conference held each year (which used to be two -- XDS and XDC -- until that fell apart in 2008)...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzg5Mg

  • #2
    What about Bridgman? Didn't he give an over view last year where AMD were going and what they were working on right now?

    Comment


    • #3
      That was 2 years ago, believe it or not. Last year we didn't do much travelling... I was able to get Alex out to XDC and that was about it.

      We're getting pretty predictable anyways.
      Last edited by bridgman; 01-19-2010, 10:50 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        That was 2 years ago, believe it or not. Last year we didn't do much travelling... I was able to get Alex out to XDC and that was about it.

        We're getting pretty predictable anyways
        hehe. It would however be interesting to hear about Evergreen drivers, now that Asus have a product

        http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/01/...board-spotted/

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm kinda hoping we can have initial (display + shadowfb) Evergreen support out by FOSDEM. Fingers crossed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I'm kinda hoping we can have initial (display + shadowfb) Evergreen support out by FOSDEM. Fingers crossed.
            That would be cool!

            I am sure some anyway out there would say, that 32x80 characters is enough for anyone?

            Just out of curiosity. The 890 IGP is this small chip what is passive cooled, but the R800 GPU huge and very actively cooled.

            Are the differences purely clock frequency and memory?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Louise View Post
              Just out of curiosity. The 890 IGP is this small chip what is passive cooled, but the R800 GPU huge and very actively cooled. Are the differences purely clock frequency and memory?
              The 890G is a DX10.1 part, so its 3D hardware is probably closer to RadeonHD 4x00 series.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DanL View Post
                The 890G is a DX10.1 part, so its 3D hardware is probably closer to RadeonHD 4x00 series.
                hey you are right. It is actually a Radeon 4200.

                So it can do OpenCL

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Louise View Post
                  hey you are right. It is actually a Radeon 4200.
                  I thought 785G was code-named RadeonHD4200..
                  The 890G will probably have a 5x00 codename, no?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Louise View Post
                    That would be cool!

                    I am sure some anyway out there would say, that 32x80 characters is enough for anyone?

                    Just out of curiosity. The 890 IGP is this small chip what is passive cooled, but the R800 GPU huge and very actively cooled.

                    Are the differences purely clock frequency and memory?
                    A little OT, but WHY aren't there any boards with integrated dual-DVI??? (I can see on that one the boring and predictable DVI+VGA plugs) There's no reason to put an old analog VGA plug on them since VGA can be hijacked off the analog pins on a DVI, so WHY???!?!?! I (and I know a lot of others as well) want basic workstation graphics along with the simplicity of IGP, but that actually supports dual monitors, and VGA most definitely does NOT COUNT -- I simply can't take the wavey lines and weird interference patterns.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      There isn't much demand for dual digital on IGP boards, so VGA and DVI are separate so you can use them for dualhead if you want. On the IGP chips the secondary digital transmitters share pcie pins, so you'd lose the x16 slot if you enabled the secondary digital ports. There are some IGP boards with dual digital outputs, I've got two of them.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The HD4200's 3D part is r600 based so probably does not support OpenCL with the proprietary driver.

                        The exist some socket AM2+ mobos with DVI+DisplayPort output (the latter shared with PCIe x16 as agd5f said). But no AM3 mobos have DisplayPort.

                        Unlike AMD chipsets, NVidia mGPU allow to simultaneously use DVI, HDMI and PCIe. And GPU compute.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X