Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plymouth Gets Tighter Integration With GDM, X

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
    And what about KDM? Why are KDE users always left behind?
    How many corporate installs of KDE with a service contract are there?

    Comment


    • #22
      That's a moot point. You cannot count that, and any stats from Redhat which supports just Gnome will not prove anything.

      Any online pools show that both KDE and Gnome have big usershare. Furthermore both Qt and GTK+ are part of LSB.

      I'm sorry but with the current mind set, KDE people will need to hack on Xserver or write their own Xserver soon, because it may become to tied to Gnome. I'm exaggerating sure, but it shows the current situation. Yet again you see KDE users complaining in gnome topic, you do not see the other way around so that has to mean something, or do you really think that all the trolls live just on the K front ? It just means KDE users have some good reasons to complain that's all.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by Melcar View Post
        Nothing wrong with GNOME. All they need to do is fix their damn panels and menu. As is, KDE is a far better desktop, though gtk apps. are for the most part superior to qt ones.
        Actually, qt apps are superior to gtk apps. To name just few: Amarok, Kate, Ktorrent, Akregator, SMPlayer...

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
          Yet again you see KDE users complaining in gnome topic, you do not see the other way around so that has to mean something, or do you really think that all the trolls live just on the K front ?
          No, but the force is certainly strong on the K front. :P

          It just means KDE users have some good reasons to complain that's all.
          If that was true, you'd see KDE developers complain - not users. This is not the case, which means this is plain old trolling by angsty KDE users worrying about their DE's sexual orientation (tm).

          In all seriousness, improvements in the Gnome stack do not endanger the KDE ecosystem (or vice versa). Not to mention that Fedora's raison d'Ítre is to develop and test bleeding-edge code - if this patch proves beneficial it will be adopted upstream and implemented by all affected parties (including KDM). There's nothing nefarious, there's no big conspiracy to lock KDE out of anything ("all I hear these days is Gnome" types of comments). This plain, honest, open-source software development.

          And I simply cannot understand all this animosity emanating from KDE users. Every single DE-related topic here is littered, flamed and finally derailed by angry KDE users trolling about Win98 wannabies, Microsoft sell-outs, Gnome conspiracies, Hitler, Nazis and the end of the world.

          Come on guys, give it a rest. Your DE rocks, it's the bestest, seriously. Now can we all live together in peace, without flames on every single Gnome-related topic? (Pretty sure world peace is just round the corner once we can do that).

          Edit: spelling.
          Last edited by BlackStar; 11-30-2009, 05:42 AM.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Actually, qt apps are superior to gtk apps. To name just few: Amarok, Kate, Ktorrent, Akregator, SMPlayer...
            As a KDE user I can only say that this is true only if you count _only_ Qt3 applications. They are superior to gtk applications, but most of qt4 applications aren't mature yet (e.g. Amarok2, KOffice2, KBluetooth4, ...)

            Comment


            • #26
              Guys, are you really sure a discussion on the relative superiority of qt3, qt4 and gtk apps belongs to a Plymouth-related thread? (Not to mention the inanity of the notion that the windowing toolkit has something to do with the superiority or inferiority of an application).

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by BlackStar View Post

                In all seriousness, improvements in the Gnome stack do not endanger the KDE ecosystem (or vice versa). Not to mention that Fedora's raison d'Ítre is to develop and test bleeding-edge code - if this patch proves beneficial it will be adopted upstream and implemented by all affected parties (including KDM). There's nothing nefarious, there's no big conspiracy to lock KDE out of anything ("all I hear these days is Gnome" types of comments). This plain, honest, open-source software development.
                Gnome people aren't better. Believe or not, but some people say there's such gnomocentrizm, because of some political reasons.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Guys, are you really sure a discussion on the relative superiority of qt3, qt4 and gtk apps belongs to a Plymouth-related thread?
                  No, but sometimes it is better to correct some things.

                  (Not to mention the inanity of the notion that the windowing toolkit has something to do with the superiority or inferiority of an application).
                  There are some nice tools to make feature rich UI on QT side
                  Last edited by kraftman; 11-30-2009, 06:21 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Guys, are you really sure a discussion on the relative superiority of qt3, qt4 and gtk apps belongs to a Plymouth-related thread? (Not to mention the inanity of the notion that the windowing toolkit has something to do with the superiority or inferiority of an application).
                    you still have to understand how flamewars work. It is NOT about arguments or logic

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by madman2k View Post
                      you still have to understand how flamewars work. It is NOT about arguments or logic
                      I stand corrected...

                      Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      Gnome people aren't better. Believe or not, but some people say there's such gnomocentrizm, because of some political reasons.
                      ...and I think I know *exactly* what we need.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X