Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MPlayer Now Supports Most HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Codecs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: MPlayer Now Supports Most HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Codecs

    year we talked about possible Blu-ray support for FFmpeg and developers becoming more interested after we interviewed the FFmpeg developers and there ended up being an outpouring of support by our readers offering up Blu-ray drives and other forms of help. The latest MPlayer code in their Subversion repository now supports most Blu-ray and HD-DVD codecs...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzcwMQ
    These patches try to support AACS when AACS isn't so important since most blu-rays today use BD+. The only way to decrypt those BD+ blu-rays is using AnyDVD HD on Windows... I use it on Virtualbox...

    And MPlayer lacks PGS (subtitle) support too, although ffmpeg supports it...

    There're other minor issues, but developers should first focus on supporting decrypted blu-rays instead of wasting time on automatic decryption. If even AnyDVD HD struggles to keep with the latest BD+ encryption, MPlayer probably will never support all BD+ versions as AnyDVD HD.

    So it would be much better to just support menus, navigation etc and let the decryption stuff to AnyDVD HD (I know, even if AnyDVD HD will not run on Linux, it's the only way to watch some blu-rays on the computer, like I do).

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
      Maybe then just buy a set top bluray player for the time being if you don't want to install Vista/W7 just to play bluray discs
      While that's totally legitimate, of course I hope I don't have to say that's less than ideal. You shouldn't have to buy hardware just because the software is locked down. Encryption and the DMCA can go to hell, I have every right to play movies no matter if it's "my" copy or a friend's copy I "borrowed".

      Comment


      • #13
        Instead of whining, you can simply download them. There are more than enough torrent sites out there.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Instead of whining, you can simply download them. There are more than enough torrent sites out there.
          Obviously, but that's missing the point that if you already have a copy, on a disc, you should have access to it, and definitely shouldn't have to install Windows to get that access. So yes, don't support closed/locked down movie discs, fully agreed, but at the same time the DMCA does need to be removed and Linux users shouldn't have to suffer while Windows users have it easy just because of legal BS when it's 100% in their right to have access to their own data.

          If anything, keeping you from your data is what should be illegal.

          Comment


          • #15
            Already possible

            Why have you given up Blu-rays just because you're now using Ubuntu?

            There is a program called MakeMKV that uses a Blu-ray decryption key (I assume it's one that's been stolen) to dump the contents of the disc into an MKV container. Once that's done, you can play it with Mplayer or VLC (tip: Turn off Compiz and you get smoother video).

            I have a library of eleven Blu-ray discs that I own that I can rip with DumpHD or MakeMKV (and they play with Mplayer); and I've borrowed two recent Blu-ray releases from the video library that can also be ripped and played.

            BTW I recently did some heavy editing of the now-famous Ubuntu wiki page on playing Blu-ray and HD-DVD (it was very outdated), so if there are any problems you know who to contact :-)

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
              While that's totally legitimate, of course I hope I don't have to say that's less than ideal. You shouldn't have to buy hardware just because the software is locked down. Encryption and the DMCA can go to hell, I have every right to play movies no matter if it's "my" copy or a friend's copy I "borrowed".
              Agreed...I'd like to be able to play my *LEGALLY* obtained bluray/DVD discs on whatever platform I choose

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by 3rdalbum View Post
                Why have you given up Blu-rays just because you're now using Ubuntu?

                There is a program called MakeMKV that uses a Blu-ray decryption key (I assume it's one that's been stolen) to dump the contents of the disc into an MKV container. Once that's done, you can play it with Mplayer or VLC (tip: Turn off Compiz and you get smoother video).

                I have a library of eleven Blu-ray discs that I own that I can rip with DumpHD or MakeMKV (and they play with Mplayer); and I've borrowed two recent Blu-ray releases from the video library that can also be ripped and played.

                BTW I recently did some heavy editing of the now-famous Ubuntu wiki page on playing Blu-ray and HD-DVD (it was very outdated), so if there are any problems you know who to contact :-)
                Nice...I will look for these programs. Are there .debs for these?

                Comment


                • #18

                  Originally posted by 3rdalbum View Post
                  Why have you given up Blu-rays just because you're now using Ubuntu?

                  There is a program called MakeMKV that uses a Blu-ray decryption key (I assume it's one that's been stolen) to dump the contents of the disc into an MKV container. Once that's done, you can play it with Mplayer or VLC (tip: Turn off Compiz and you get smoother video).

                  I have a library of eleven Blu-ray discs that I own that I can rip with DumpHD or MakeMKV (and they play with Mplayer); and I've borrowed two recent Blu-ray releases from the video library that can also be ripped and played.

                  BTW I recently did some heavy editing of the now-famous Ubuntu wiki page on playing Blu-ray and HD-DVD (it was very outdated), so if there are any problems you know who to contact :-)
                  Thanks for sharing. ^^ Sucks that it is closed, but after following the directions for MakeMKV for compilation everything worked perfectly in Karmic Koala. (Follow http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224 Download both "bin" and "source" packages, install dependencies, run make & install commands on source as instructed, run make and install commands on bin as instructed, download SVQ files and configure paths in BD+ options. Rip BDs! ^^)

                  Hopefully DumpHD will get easier to use as last time I tried it I had too many problems.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X