Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA Releases A New 2D Linux Driver

Phoronix: VIA Releases A New 2D Linux Driver

Earlier this month we shared that VIA would be releasing a new 2D graphics driver for Linux and this morning they have done just that. While previously VIA Technologies had thrown their weight behind the OpenChrome driver, and there are other VIA drivers out there like the UniChrome driver, they have been working on their own xf86-video-via driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could someone explain that acceleration, please?

Does Chrome 9 need DRM for EXA (like ATI r6xx/r7xx)? Then why http://openchrome.org/trac/wiki/SupportedHardware reports 2D accel for Chrome 9? It shouldn't be possible, right?

Comment

Humm. Info is limited here again. Dual monitor seems fine but also for my old CLE266? Had severe problems with beamers and needed to use a VESA driver for presentations. Then, I wonder why they suddenly do their own brew (that was horrible last time) and why they do not just cooperate with the openchrome. At least that one showed some progess at all and gave me partial 2d accelleration.
      I guess Harald has still a lot of stuff to do there .
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

The WANT a Gallium driver written for them? For nothing?

What the fuck are they thinking? AMD has been making quite an example that they should follow their ass. It they don't do their part and respect OSS community and simply want things to be done for them, well, all I can say is GTFO

On other news, I still fight as hard as I can to steer people away from VIA's stuff

Comment

Is this driver works with kernel >2.6.28 ????? Anyone can tell how to install this crap with 2.6.30.5 or newer ???

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            The WANT a Gallium driver written for them? For nothing?
            This is EXACTLY what the Linux Driver Project offers.

Comment

VIA claims it can not afford hiring ppl to work on their driver. Then I had exactly the same idea: Linux Driver Project. Proposed that but my idea was just ignored. Not the first case of that :/

Comment

How about: If VIA gives me lots of money and h/w specs for nothing, I might consider writing them a driver for nothing.

Or maybe I'll go spend it all on more AMD hardware. That's the price of nothing I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post

Does Chrome 9 need DRM for EXA (like ATI r6xx/r7xx)? Then why http://openchrome.org/trac/wiki/SupportedHardware reports 2D accel for Chrome 9? It shouldn't be possible, right?
                  no, it will also ok if you do not load the DRM driver. Make sure our Xorg.conf EXA is enable. Please diretly consolut the html format Readme inside the binary package of V86A on the via linux webside.

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post

No, EXA still can work without the DRM.
                    Just make sure your xorg.conf have EXA enbled options.
                    you can also consult the html format user guid inside VIA V86A binary package on the linux driver portal .

Comment

Working...
                    X