Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Looks Like X.Org 7.5 Will Be Released Late

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It Looks Like X.Org 7.5 Will Be Released Late

    Phoronix: It Looks Like X.Org 7.5 Will Be Released Late

    Last week we asked the question of whether the X.Org 7.5 release schedule will be met. This X.Org / X Server update has already been delayed multiple times and it is currently running behind with their current release plans...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzM4NA

  • #2
    "As of yet, there is no official communication whether X.Org 7.5 is being delayed or not, which leaves some distribution vendors and others in the dark."

    https://features.opensuse.org/306903

    https://features.opensuse.org/306657

    they certainly want it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well then what's holding 7.5 up, and who's offering to fix it?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by R3MF View Post
        In *buntu too!
        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Roadmap/Karmic

        I think a bit transparency and updated public info is not much to ask for, even if these people are (many of them) volunteers. The benefit is enormous, and the cost is very, very small (just send an update to the mailing list every couple days).

        Comment


        • #5
          Hardly shocking... its been their pattern as of late. The last version was delayed for a very long time...

          Comment


          • #6
            XOrg or XMess?

            How many forks or alternatives are needed for having a proper X11 project? This is very ridicule and one of the main problems damaging the entire UNIX/UNIX-like family, specially the FOSS part of it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Whining is silly

              I don't get it, xorg doesn't really owe anybody anything. If companies need it so bad, they should provide engineers to the project. If we users need it that bad, then we should do it ourselves or pay for it. Maybe we're just spoiled by the kernel guys being so quick?

              I think like many organizations, xorg may need some competition to motivate themselves. KDE vs gnome is great. I think either one would be worse off if the other didn't exist.

              And I hope the day comes soon where X is dropped as the linux desktop and demoted to a compatibility layer. Sometimes it's good just to start over. Stuff like wayland seems to be the future.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
                Well then what's holding 7.5 up, and who's offering to fix it?
                Pick a set of features, make the features work, fix regressions, select versions of packages to bundle, test to ensure that the packages all work together correctly, then ship.

                If it seems like it takes forever, it's because we're understaffed.

                Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                XOrg or XMess?

                How many forks or alternatives are needed for having a proper X11 project? This is very ridicule and one of the main problems damaging the entire UNIX/UNIX-like family, specially the FOSS part of it.
                Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize there were any forks of Xorg. I also didn't realize that forking was necessary for proper community collaboration. Clearly, I'll defer to your massive expertise in the area.

                Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
                I don't get it, xorg doesn't really owe anybody anything. If companies need it so bad, they should provide engineers to the project. If we users need it that bad, then we should do it ourselves or pay for it. Maybe we're just spoiled by the kernel guys being so quick?

                I think like many organizations, xorg may need some competition to motivate themselves. KDE vs gnome is great. I think either one would be worse off if the other didn't exist.

                And I hope the day comes soon where X is dropped as the linux desktop and demoted to a compatibility layer. Sometimes it's good just to start over. Stuff like wayland seems to be the future.
                Those companies (off the top of my head: AMD, Apple, Canonical, Nokia, nVidia, Red Hat, Sun, SUSE, Via, VMWare) already provide manpower. People like myself, and many other developers, do contribute code, and occasionally money is given to certain developers in order to provide incentive.

                I think you're missing the part where our ratio of developers, to old crufty code from over a decade ago, is very low.

                Sure, bring on the competition. In case you haven't noticed, the reason we have no competition is because writing X is hard. It is hard to write this stuff.

                Wayland was written by an X developer. It doesn't replace the X server, it hosts X servers. Moreover, it's an experiment, not Moses on the mountain. Seriously. People thought the same thing about Xgl and glitz, back in the day. (Of course, "back in the day" is somewhere between three years ago, or last week, depending who you ask.)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
                  Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize there were any forks of Xorg. I also didn't realize that forking was necessary for proper community collaboration. Clearly, I'll defer to your massive expertise in the area.
                  Isn't Xfree still alive somewhat ? I guess he was refering to the fact that X.org is a fork of Xfree ... So I guess what it's all about is that X.org was forked of Xfree just becuase Xfree wasn't working as it should and wasn't moving to the future... So the thing is people now are not happy with progress that Xorg has made so some suggest another fork or a new server ...

                  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and please note it's not my opinion that Xorg needs a fork :P

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                    Isn't Xfree still alive somewhat ? I guess he was refering to the fact that X.org is a fork of Xfree ... So I guess what it's all about is that X.org was forked of Xfree just becuase Xfree wasn't working as it should and wasn't moving to the future... So the thing is people now are not happy with progress that Xorg has made so some suggest another fork or a new server ...

                    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and please note it's not my opinion that Xorg needs a fork :P
                    Both were once a fork. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X