X.Org 7.5 Released. Wait, Nope!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
    Notice also that native Windows run at 60fps, 3x faster then X11, so at least you can't say X11 is fast..
    Note that they say there is no "native" mode on windows, they're just using raster by default there. So the fps is likely only faster there than the raster mode on linux because the computer is a Core2 Quad versus a Pentium4.

But yes, XRender is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Note that they say there is no "native" mode on windows, they're just using raster by default there. So the fps is likely only faster there than the raster mode on linux because the computer is a Core2 Quad versus a Pentium4.
      I'm pretty sure GDI is the "native" mode on Windows and it is accelerated on pretty much everything out there. It's not known as a speed-demon however.

As far as I can tell, on Windows you can choose between GDI (accelerated), GDI+ (deprecated, not accelerated), DirectDraw (deprecated), WPF (accelerated, .Net-only) and Direct2D (maybe the worst API ever designed by Microsoft, which is saying a lot) for 2d graphics. Out of these, only WPF is actually worth using - but it's .Net only which limits its usefulness.

So yes, the X11 API may be ugly, XRender may be slow, but there are worse things out there.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

But yes, XRender is slow.
        Oops, sorry I didn't saw that shame on me ...

Comment

Originally posted by Anato View Post
          I know some feel that this sucks but why can't the X.org start dropping features and drivers which doesn't have a maintainer, are old or the userbase is low? Why the lack on maintainers and need for support on some part have to drag the whole system down?
          We do. Many drivers are marked as unmaintained and only receive trivial janitorial updates.

Comment

If X is such a nightmare to work with, why hasn't there been more interest in OSS alternatives like Y? As a software developer myself, I realize drastic changes only create headaches, but sometimes they are needed to move ahead.

Comment

I didn't even know Y existed.

Comment

OT

Perhaps one of you, guys, can answer a question that lingers on my head every time I work with a heavy pdf file. I think I read somewhere that poppler uses cairo and that this uses HW acceleration when available (I don't actually know what that means, mind you). Why is it that displaying pdfs is rather slugish? Out of pure ignorance I'd say that drawing a 3D landscape like any of the ones you get playing a FPS is more cumbersome than displaying a bunch of fonts...

Comment

I'd attribute this one to the program itself. Evince was really slow on displaying the pdfs, but Adobe Reader (yeah it looks horrid with the custom cursor and fails to open a browser properly) just flies on them.

Comment

Working...
                  X