Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Server 1.6.0 Has Been Released

Phoronix: X Server 1.6.0 Has Been Released

It's arriving about two months later than originally scheduled (and didn't arrive in 2008 like Intel wanted), but X Server 1.6 has been officially released this afternoon and it wasn't 212 days late like the infamous X Server 1.4.1 release.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13539

Woohoo! Hopefully support in fglrx will come in Catalyst 9.3, so we don't have another repeat of Ubuntu 8.10 and their h4x3d version of Catalyst 8.10

Comment

just imagine!
      compiz + random 3D application at the same time!

Comment

"The proprietary NVIDIA driver is compatible with X Server 1.6, while the proprietary Catalyst driver from AMD doesn't yet offer any support for this updated X Server."

I mean, why is NVIDIA always, always, always, always: ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
          just imagine!
          compiz + random 3D application at the same time!
          + videoplayback! ... don't be ridiculous ...

Comment

Originally posted by falloutboy View Post
            + videoplayback! ... don't be ridiculous ...
            Well, you can use gl output now (thanks to dri2)

This was earlier than I expected

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
              "The proprietary NVIDIA driver is compatible with X Server 1.6, while the proprietary Catalyst driver from AMD doesn't yet offer any support for this updated X Server."

because they actually dont use most of the X Server infrastructure, but use their own instead. So to them it is not that a difference whether to replace xserver1.5 or xserver1.6 files.

Comment

Seen as it was just officially released, one can assume that fglrx will have official support by the 9.4 release. 9.3 would be nice, but I have my doubts.

Comment

That statement is largely false: the FOSS drivers are very well supported on 1.6., and generally closely trace its development.
                  Last edited by susikala; 02-25-2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

So will that mean that fglrx will support it now

Comment

I have just (last week?) managed to get fglrx 9.2 installed onto my main PC running Ubuntu 8.10 and get compiz + xv worked.

Now I know that after 2 months my video card will be a dead horse again, because FOSS driver is still not out yet and fglrx would have a hard time TRYING to support x server 1.6.

Hope Ubuntu team could give a hand helping those poor fglrx devs to get their driver work on Ubuntu 9.04 by the time it is out. Otherwise it (X server 1.6 DRI-2 fantasy) is going to be a major show stopper for ATI users -- YET AGAIN.

Comment

I don't know, but I do know that complaining about it in a multitude of phoronix.com threads will do little or nothing to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by madman2k View Post
                          because they actually dont use most of the X Server infrastructure, but use their own instead. So to them it is not that a difference whether to replace xserver1.5 or xserver1.6 files.
                          Basicly you just said NVIDIA is ahead. Also there is no good reason why AMD hasn't done what NVIDIA did. Conclusion: NVIDIA is ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                            I have just (last week?) managed to get fglrx 9.2 installed onto my main PC running Ubuntu 8.10 and get compiz + xv worked.

Now I know that after 2 months my video card will be a dead horse again, because FOSS driver is still not out yet and fglrx would have a hard time TRYING to support x server 1.6.

Hope Ubuntu team could give a hand helping those poor fglrx devs to get their driver work on Ubuntu 9.04 by the time it is out. Otherwise it (X server 1.6 DRI-2 fantasy) is going to be a major show stopper for ATI users -- YET AGAIN.
                            I had a friend who tried to install Kubuntu relatively recently and the graphical installer failed horribly on him.

He ended up compiling "some alpha drive off git" (I suppose that's the oss one) to get it to at least show something.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post

We had an fglrx driver ready for inclusion in the 8.10 Ubuntu release; why are you so sure there will be a huge delay with 9.04 ?

Note that DRI2 isn't going to change anything on its own; it's just one of many things which need to be in place to enable RDR, which is what you *really* want

Comment

Working...
                              X