Intel On Rebuilding The X.Org Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neat desk

Where can I get me one of those newfangled talking desks? Does it run linux?

Comment

Are we supposed to see something on that screen?

Comment

Hmm. I cannot see the person speaking. I cannot see anything on the slides. The signal to noise ratio is very low.

I guess I'll wait until FOSDEM posts the videos on their website before attempting to watch.

Comment

Just tried to watch the video of Eric's presentation.

Thank you for killing my ability to hear. Why haven't you fixed this video? If nothing more, remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
            As an nvidia user, I am wondering what exactly are they rebuilding. Fixing their drivers so that similarly specced hardware can perform the same?
            Intel is pushing for realtime ray tracing as the next "Next Gen" which simply won't work with their current system, so it would make sense that they'd at least attempt to fix their rather bad solution on the platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
              blip.tv allows you to download the original files too.
              Then why not link to them, for the benefit of people who don't run non-Free software in their main browser? Part of the point of having non-flash vids is defeated by having the only links to them _inside the flash content_.

I don't want any stupid plugins in my main browser, since I want to be able to have it running for weeks at a time. Flash tends to crash my browser, and I _HATE_ that. So much so that I only have flash set up in seamonkey, not firefox. (via nspluginwrapper, since at least it's AMD64 seamonkey, not a 32bit chroot anymore.)

Besides the stability thing, flash likes to grab the sound device. (I like to avoid crappy software resampling to 48kHz, so I avoid pulseaudio and have mplayer set up to default to ao=alsa:device=hw, rather than the default pcm, which goes through stupid dmix that resamples even when only one thing is playing. Working around the crappy state of Linux audio is another reason to avoid plugins in a browser don't want to have to restart.)

Originally posted by mattst88
              Just tried to watch the video of Eric's presentation.

Thank you for killing my ability to hear. Why haven't you fixed this video? If nothing more, remove it.
              Me too. There are brief snatches where the mic wasn't loose or something, where you can hear a few sentences of Eric's talk. The mic levels are well below the full-scale noise, so if you turn it up to hear the talk, then you'll be blasted with clipping as soon as the plug comes loose again. I'm going to try downloading it (which is apparently possible, yay) and playing it through mplayer with -af something_clever.

Comment

Originally posted by llama View Post
                I don't want any stupid plugins in my main browser, since I want to be able to have it running for weeks at a time. Flash tends to crash my browser, and I _HATE_ that. So much so that I only have flash set up in seamonkey, not firefox. (via nspluginwrapper, since at least it's AMD64 seamonkey, not a 32bit chroot anymore.)
                There's a 64-bit Flash now.

Besides the stability thing, flash likes to grab the sound device.
                ALSA offers dmix and OSS 4 (I use that) offers vmix. All apps, including Flash simply /dev/dsp here at the same time with no problems.

Comment

broken sound

Looks like they had a problem with the mike when they recorded, so I dont think there is a working version of it. Thats really sucks, the tech team should show more professionalism.
                  Maybe there is a transcription, so we can still take part of all that interesting stuff that was said?

Comment

video html element

As a supporter of free software, could you support open standards and allow the videos to be seen with the <video> html element, please?

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
                      As a supporter of free software, could you support open standards and allow the videos to be seen with the <video> html element, please?
                      What, so nobody can see it unless they're using pre-release browsers?

Comment

Working...
                      X