No announcement yet.

RandR 1.3 Explained, Demonstrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoever organised it should've given the press audio pulled from the audio console. It's as big of a problem as pluging any analog devices via a pretty standard cable. A f**cking tape recorder would suffice and made the audio understandable.

Comment

I doubt that there was an audio console to pull from.

My recollection from last year is that the devroom sessions were held in classrooms, where the audio system is a sign saying "speak clearly".
      Last edited by bridgman; 11 February 2009, 04:52 AM.
      Test signature

Comment

Oh....I assumed that they had a microphone, which had to be hooked up to at least an amp of some kind, most of which have other outputs then just for the speakers...

I mean, come on, every institution with a room for such events (or even just lectures) has audio equipment.

Comment

Nope, this is just thousands of open source folks piling into a 60's-era university and taking over the classrooms. There are probably a couple of halls with real sound systems but since there are 20 or more sessions going on in parallel...
          Test signature

Comment

ehh....nevermind. I just can't seriously believe that they couldn't get better audio with minimal effort...it bugs me because I really wanted to watch or at least here it...

Comment

Michael covered the 2008 FOSDEM sessions, probably with the same equipment, and got pretty good results. It sounds like there was a bad mic cord or something which you wouldn't know about at the time the recordings were being made.

I imagine that having been burned by equipment this year Michael may arrange for some kind of monitoring mechanism for future sessions, unless we all bitch and complain so much that we discourage him from covering FOSDEM in the future (FAIL).

Even with the audio problems I found the recordings pretty useful. That said, some kind of "warning, don't play this with headphones" note on the web pages might still be a good idea
              Last edited by bridgman; 11 February 2009, 03:18 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Michael covered the 2008 FOSDEM sessions, probably with the same equipment, and got pretty good results. It sounds like there was a bad mic cord or something which you wouldn't know about at the time the recordings were being made.

I suspect that having been burned by equipment this year Michael may arrange for some kind of monitoring mechanism for future sessions, unless we all bitch and complain so much that he decides not to bother covering FOSDEM in the future (ie we successfully shoot ourselves in the foot as a community).
                Actually, it was better equipment (both for audio and video) than last year at FOSDEM. However, I think I tracked down the culprit and it was an adapter for hooking up the quarter-inch microphone jack to the netbook. I was using the same microphone and adapter for recording audio at XDS last year, but at that time the adapter seemed to work fine and not cause feedback. I think that accounts for the poorer quality audio than anticipated. I was in fact monitoring the audio levels at the start of a few sessions via headphones and at that time it seemed fine, but that's maybe when the adapter was being friendly.

Though with Audacity the audio from this year can still be cleaned up, but I haven't got around to that yet as I just got back last night.

The audio board used during the talks is quite simplistic and I ended up checking but don't recall seeing any audio outputs but only inputs. Next year perhaps I'll just get a lapel microphone setup for the speakers to use and then first interface with that and then pass that feed onto their audio board. Or just use a different microphone/adapter
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                X