2016 Wayland Experiences: GNOME: Perfect, KDE: Bad, Enlightenment: Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Wayland Experiences: GNOME: Perfect, KDE: Bad, Enlightenment: Good

Phoronix: 2016 Wayland Experiences: GNOME: Perfect, KDE: Bad, Enlightenment: Good

Developer Pavlo Rudyi has written a blog post about his experiences with the different desktop environments currently supporting Wayland. The results aren't a big surprise, but nevertheless it's great to see the continued interest in Wayland and the ongoing work by many different parties in ensuring Wayland will be able to dominate the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNOME is "perfect"

Let me know when the onscreen keyboard and gamma control works

(last I checked (on F23 anyway), the onscreen keyboard doesn't work on Wayland, which is pretty important for a tablet, and gamma control is important for majority of panels that ship with too-high of gamma)

Comment

I wouldn't call GNOME on Wayland "perfect", but compared to the other common DEs and WMs it's the most complete so far. I use it most of the time these days, switching to Xorg only when playing certain games (pointer locking/confinement is still not finished yet.)

Comment

I wonder if NVIDIAs next Beta driver release will finally ship the KMS support (announced late 2014) and the Wayland EGL Extensions for supporting Wayland compositors and clients. That would be a huge win for Wayland desktop adoption. It's the only thing stopping me from using Gnome on Wayland right now. I don't see what else could be on their feature roadmap.

Comment

That is not a review, it is a really boring music video

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            GNOME is "perfect"

Let me know when the onscreen keyboard and gamma control works

(last I checked (on F23 anyway), the onscreen keyboard doesn't work on Wayland, which is pretty important for a tablet, and gamma control is important for majority of panels that ship with too-high of gamma)
            + resizing the windows is not perfect.
            But much better in term of stability than Kde on wayland and Kde 5.4 on X11

Comment

First he says
              context menu appears outside of the application window. Small cosmetic bugs are available
              and then he calls it "perfect".

I don't think he really understands what that word means in English.

Comment

His enlightenment (judging by the screenshot) is kind of old. E has improved since the last release but still has bugs that make it unusable for a production setup.

Comment

Given KDE's history of defending horrendous breakage in x.0 releases to be acceptable "because it's always been this way", I'm not surprised.

However, this does mean I won't be using Wayland in the near future. (I consider forced server-side window decorations to be non-negotiable and I know too little about Enlightenment's features to consider it a candidate at the moment.)

It also worries me, to be honest, because I've never EVER had a WM that's lasted as long as my X session without needing at least one restart.

Comment

What the author meant is:

GNOME: Useable.
                    E: Useable.
                    KDE: Not useable.

but probably being a GNOME fanboi in the process, he used misleading terminology. Also, the above matches my experience. Can't wait to have KDE useable though, but it's not there yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X