No announcement yet.

How Close Fedora Is To Switching To Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like I said, everyone uses computers differently. I don't maximize apps at all other than video playback or games, never have. I will never run without icons on the desktop-period. Great thing about FOSS is that unlike closed/paid software you really do have a choice. So far you still do even inside GNOME, let's hope it stays that way,

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
      Like I said, everyone uses computers differently. I don't maximize apps at all other than video playback or games, never have. I will never run without icons on the desktop-period. Great thing about FOSS is that unlike closed/paid software you really do have a choice. So far you still do even inside GNOME, let's hope it stays that way,
      Plasma Shell will have a directory view plasmoid once it's capable of running on Wayland, for one.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: How Close Fedora Is To Switching To Wayland By Default

Kevin Martin of the Fedora Project has written a status update and plan around the "Wayland-by-default" effort for Fedora 24...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Status-January

Just wanna add - forget me or other fanboys, do it right, then release, even if it's Fedora 25. I'm a helluva lot more inclined to have something working which doesn't crash every 5 minutes or every 10 clicks, than something out the door to satisfy fanboism. This is an epochal migration from an old old (X11) legacy - and I'm tired of the peanut gallery saying there's never gonna be a desktop Linux....... The least one would expect is kde and gnome to get this right.... being two most widely used desktops and all.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          NVIDIA driver support
          fedora does not support proprietary shit

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            pointer confinement so I can play shooters
            I completely agree. Pointer confinement is a big issue for gaming as well as other applications. Hopefully it'll be ready in the coming months.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post

I usually get to the desktop by moving the window I am using, given that I am almost never fullscreening apps and never using the "one app per desktop" model which makes drag and drop useless. Any desktop environment that prohibits icons on the desktop will never make it to any of my systems unless I can modify it to work the way I want it to work.
              I've seen many people who use desktop icons get used to Windows's Win+D shortcut very quickly. It hides all windows and shows the desktop.

What I think you'd like and is something Gnome could do easily (or much more easily than some of these other suggestions), is a view like the current App View, but with user movable icons for apps and documents. Then it could be All, Frequent, Desktop and the user picks one. Then it would be a quick Windows+A to make it pop up.

Comment

Working...
              X