Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's KWin On Wayland Is Progressing For 5.1 Release

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE's KWin On Wayland Is Progressing For 5.1 Release

    Phoronix: KDE's KWin On Wayland Is Progressing For 5.1 Release

    Martin Grlin shared that work on KDE's KWin window manager for supporting Wayland is back to happening at full-speed...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3MjI

  • #2
    I hope major Wayland related efforts won't be too much apart:

    1. Nvidia shipping full Wayland support in their closed driver.
    2. KDE enabling Wayland support.
    3. Mozilla finalizing the Shumway project to get rid of Flash for good which will enable complete switch of Firefox to GTK3 (which enables Wayland as well).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      I hope major Wayland related efforts won't be too much apart:

      1. Nvidia shipping full Wayland support in their closed driver.
      2. KDE enabling Wayland support.
      3. Mozilla finalizing the Shumway project to get rid of Flash for good which will enable complete switch of Firefox to GTK3 (which enables Wayland as well).
      I'll settle for advancements in nouveau for now; and I don't install flash anymore. Can I have just #2 and any decent web browser?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
        I'll settle for advancements in nouveau for now; and I don't install flash anymore. Can I have just #2 and any decent web browser?
        Nouveau is still way inefficient. So far AMD driver is in much better shape amongst the open ones. So closed Nvidia driver is not replaceable just yet. I'd like to get rid of Flash, but many places still use it unfortunately. Shumway should supposedly help dropping a dependency on the closed and unmaintained plugin which will be stuck in GTK2 / X11 dependency forever.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          I hope major Wayland related efforts won't be too much apart:

          1. Nvidia shipping full Wayland support in their closed driver.
          2. KDE enabling Wayland support.
          3. Mozilla finalizing the Shumway project to get rid of Flash for good which will enable complete switch of Firefox to GTK3 (which enables Wayland as well).
          2 doesn't really affect me (though it'd be nice), but I'd be more than happy if 1 and 3 become reality in the next few months. Which is very unlikely, but still, a man can dream, right?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
            I'll settle for advancements in nouveau for now; and I don't install flash anymore. Can I have just #2 and any decent web browser?
            Rekonq will probably have a KDE5 build by the time Kwin 5.1 comes out.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by zanny View Post
              Rekonq will probably have a KDE5 build by the time Kwin 5.1 comes out.
              Is flash working in wayland in rekong. I thought flash npapi used gtk2?

              Comment


              • #8
                Fuck flash with AIDS, Syphilis Herpes and all the other STDs.

                Holding FF back because of this monstrosity saddens me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  Fuck flash with AIDS, Syphilis Herpes and all the other STDs.

                  Holding FF back because of this monstrosity saddens me.
                  Couldn't FF technically just adopt the PPAPI plugin from Chrome and call it a day ?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    Rekonq will probably have a KDE5 build by the time Kwin 5.1 comes out.
                    Rekonq already has a working kde5 port. i have some issues with URL loading, but it could be a configuration issue...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Does this mean they fixed the memory leak or whatever it was that was wrong with KWin? When I was last looking into KDE 5 last week it came to my attention that the new KDE 5 is a resource hog and the developers had isolated the problem being in KWin.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                        Couldn't FF technically just adopt the PPAPI plugin from Chrome and call it a day ?
                        Yeah but then they'd have to be working with Google to make the web better as opposed to holding onto their NIH attitude towards anything that's not Javascript.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'd like to get on to Wayland fairly early on and start coding for it. I can ditch Firefox if I need to. I'll switch from KDE to Gnome if I have to, although I'd be sad to give up Dolphin, but I do need Eclipse and the JVM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
                            I'd like to get on to Wayland fairly early on and start coding for it. I can ditch Firefox if I need to. I'll switch from KDE to Gnome if I have to, although I'd be sad to give up Dolphin, but I do need Eclipse and the JVM.
                            This article is about KWin, the Window Manager. Many KDE apps already work on Weston: http://vizzzion.org/blog/2014/07/pla...ad-to-wayland/

                            So, if you wanted you can use Dolphin on Gnome 3 on Wayland.
                            Last edited by CTown; 08-25-2014, 05:38 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                              Couldn't FF technically just adopt the PPAPI plugin from Chrome and call it a day ?
                              Are you volunteering to do the work required to implement PPAPI support in Firefox? Because I understand that's pretty much the sticking point - nobody is interested in performing a substantial amount of work to support a single plugin which nobody at Mozilla has much love for (go figure, the open-web advocates don't like Flash).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X