Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARM Talks Up Wayland For Mali

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ARM Talks Up Wayland For Mali

    Phoronix: ARM Talks Up Wayland For Mali

    Earlier this month at SIGGRAPH, ARM and Collabora was talking up the benefits and possibilities for Wayland over X11...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3MTE

  • #2
    Does it work as efficiently on normal hardware (ie things you can buy off the shelf) with the FOSS drivers?




    Daniel seems like he lost about a decade of his life from anxiety while doing this. (j/k)

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, looking to the CPU workload, Frame latency and the power consumption... Wayland destroy X, period.
      I can't wait one more second to have my distro run natively on wayland, come on!

      Comment


      • #4
        And this may be why intel moved wayland author to work on other things beside wayland, because the arm guys are taking more advantage of wayland which intel may see as a threat xD. So now with wayland you can take less powered arm hardware and have a decent system, lets ditch more expensive intel cpus...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TheOne View Post
          And this may be why intel moved wayland author to work on other things beside wayland, because the arm guys are taking more advantage of wayland which intel may see as a threat xD. So now with wayland you can take less powered arm hardware and have a decent system, lets ditch more expensive intel cpus...
          Putting the conspiracy theories aside about the WL situation i don't think there is a 64bit ARM cpu that can challenge top end Intel x86 CPUs. And not even one you can buy off the shelf on your favorite retailer. PLus there are closed apps that only work on x86 (matlab draftsight etc.).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            Putting the conspiracy theories aside about the WL situation i don't think there is a 64bit ARM cpu that can challenge top end Intel x86 CPUs. And not even one you can buy off the shelf on your favorite retailer. PLus there are closed apps that only work on x86 (matlab draftsight etc.).
            Well, the arm vs x86 performance at day only matter for the server market (datacenters, etc...) for end-users that only browse the web, check emails, do causal gaming as need some productivity with office applications... you could say the gap has closed, give them a system with newish arm soc and other system with intel/amd cpu and they will not notice much of a difference..

            Comment


            • #7
              apples to oranges comparison

              i'm not taking those charts seriously for a minute

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by johnc View Post
                apples to oranges comparison

                i'm not taking those charts seriously for a minute
                https://plus.google.com/+DanielStone/posts/QzJcEpw5inW

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                  Well, the arm vs x86 performance at day only matter for the server market (datacenters, etc...) for end-users that only browse the web, check emails, do causal gaming as need some productivity with office applications... you could say the gap has closed, give them a system with newish arm soc and other system with intel/amd cpu and they will not notice much of a difference..
                  Intel CPU is bottleneck (too slow) for me. Most Linux software is single-threaded or don't really scale with more cores. 30 GHz Intel CPU would be useful for me. ARM CPUs have usually 30% or less performance of Intel CPUs.
                  Last edited by JS987; 08-23-2014, 10:12 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So when is the day that I can buy an ARM ultrabook and use my favorite DE on it?
                    That is, when there are good enough GPU (and everything else as well) FOSS drivers for at least one of those SoCs?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                      Well, the arm vs x86 performance at day only matter for the server market (datacenters, etc...) for end-users that only browse the web, check emails, do causal gaming as need some productivity with office applications... you could say the gap has closed, give them a system with newish arm soc and other system with intel/amd cpu and they will not notice much of a difference..
                      And still an intel cpu will do what you describe (casual stuff) and also run things like the ones mentioned before (cad etc). Also does steam (games and software) run on 64bit ARM?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So to sum up the video in one sentence, Wayland-based compositors don't run like crap in the way X11 does?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by johnc View Post
                          apples to oranges comparison

                          i'm not taking those charts seriously for a minute
                          I don't get it, did one of the wayland devs murder your family? Any time there's something wayland related you're quick to show your distaste for it, but I really don't understand why. Unless you depend on closed source drivers, there's no major downside to it. Sure it's still young, but many distros and DEs don't offer stable support for it yet. Can't knock something that isn't completed.

                          Hating Mir I would undersatnd - that was a selfish project that didn't have much input from other developers outside of Canonical, and didn't have enough technical analysis on how it should work. But what did wayland do wrong?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
                            Well, looking to the CPU workload, Frame latency and the power consumption... Wayland destroy X, period.
                            I can't wait one more second to have my distro run natively on wayland, come on!
                            I guess problem isn't X, but OpenGL compositor. X applications should have lower CPU load, latency with hardware overlay without compositor than with compositor.
                            Last edited by JS987; 08-23-2014, 12:07 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                              And this may be why intel moved wayland author to work on other things beside wayland, because the arm guys are taking more advantage of wayland which intel may see as a threat xD. So now with wayland you can take less powered arm hardware and have a decent system, lets ditch more expensive intel cpus...
                              While I enjoy a good tinfoil hat theory, the overhead of X vs Wayland is nothing ARM couldn't handle years ago. N900.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X