Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mozilla Firefox On Wayland Is Progressing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mozilla Firefox On Wayland Is Progressing

    Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox On Wayland Is Progressing

    Collabora remains interested in seeing Mozilla's Firefox web-browser with Gecko layout engine on Wayland...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1ODA

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox On Wayland Is Progressing

    Collabora remains interested in seeing Mozilla's Firefox web-browser with Gecko layout engine on Wayland...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1ODA


    ^this after reading the news.

    Comment


    • #3
      GTK3 *puke*

      I hope they will face the same issues like Audacious and port to Qt. I would prefer even Lynx over a GTK3-Firefox. Gnome team doesn't care about external projects, so I don't care about them!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JörnS View Post
        GTK3 *puke*

        I hope they will face the same issues like Audacious and port to Qt. I would prefer even Lynx over a GTK3-Firefox. Gnome team doesn't care about external projects, so I don't care about them!
        They do care about external projects. For example, the recent changes done to support other desktop environments

        http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014/...k-in-9-images/

        Firefox already uses GTK and if you want Wayland support, it is easier to migrate to GTK 3 than rewrite that part but in any case, a Qt frontend work is also in progress. So you will have more choices going forward regardless of the toolkit you prefer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JörnS View Post
          GTK3 *puke*

          I hope they will face the same issues like Audacious and port to Qt. I would prefer even Lynx over a GTK3-Firefox. Gnome team doesn't care about external projects, so I don't care about them!
          http://www.apple.com/ has a awesome toolkit. You could try that. Yes Firefox is supporting this toolkit.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Akka View Post
            http://www.apple.com/ has a awesome toolkit. You could try that. Yes Firefox is supporting this toolkit.
            In theory FF can support all toolkits. In practice someone has to "port" for each toolkit. And noone cares enough to adapt FF for Qt EFL or whatever.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              In theory FF can support all toolkits. In practice someone has to "port" for each toolkit. And noone cares enough to adapt FF for Qt EFL or whatever.
              Yes that was the point

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                They do care about external projects. For example, the recent changes done to support other desktop environments

                http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014/...k-in-9-images/
                As an Xfce user this is interesting to know.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JörnS View Post
                  GTK3 *puke*

                  I hope they will face the same issues like Audacious and port to Qt. I would prefer even Lynx over a GTK3-Firefox. Gnome team doesn't care about external projects, so I don't care about them!
                  A bag of hurt known as Qt where every idea needs a button and configuration option. Pass.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Akka View Post
                    http://www.apple.com/ has a awesome toolkit. You could try that. Yes Firefox is supporting this toolkit.
                    He wouldn't accept reality: his skewed view on FOSS would be forever warped by a 25+ year foundation of frameworks dating back to 1989 NeXTSTEP 1.0 which has seen every single OS since blatantly rip it off, however poorly.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                      A bag of hurt known as Qt where every idea needs a button and configuration option. Pass.
                      I guess you don't know what Qt is or you confuse it with KDE - the developer decides how many buttons and configurations he makes, not the toolkit.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                        He wouldn't accept reality: his skewed view on FOSS would be forever warped by a 25+ year foundation of frameworks dating back to 1989 NeXTSTEP 1.0 which has seen every single OS since blatantly rip it off, however poorly.
                        Accept reality, okay - it's an Apple fanboy!

                        That has nothing to do with Apple, it's about Linux - or does MacOSX use Wayland? I don't think so!

                        Back to topic, that's why I don't want GTK3: http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3...slenvm_jpg.htm

                        It's ugly, it wastes screen space. Pass.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                          A bag of hurt known as Qt where every idea needs a button and configuration option. Pass.
                          You must be confusing different things. Qt is a set of libraries, they don't have an UI themselves.

                          Developers building Qt can decide certain option at configuration times, a technique usually referred to as build-options.
                          Users of applications built with Qt can influence certain features by setting environment variables before launching the application.

                          Developers creating applications might expose configuration options in their applications' UI, but that is obviously independent of the library being used.

                          Cheers,
                          _

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JörnS View Post
                            GTK3 *puke*

                            I hope they will face the same issues like Audacious and port to Qt. I would prefer even Lynx over a GTK3-Firefox. Gnome team doesn't care about external projects, so I don't care about them!
                            Let Mozilla and Collabora discover their mistake by themselves.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JörnS View Post
                              Accept reality, okay - it's an Apple fanboy!

                              That has nothing to do with Apple, it's about Linux - or does MacOSX use Wayland? I don't think so!

                              Back to topic, that's why I don't want GTK3: http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3...slenvm_jpg.htm

                              It's ugly, it wastes screen space. Pass.
                              Why should they port to qt. It is suicide for them to use it in mac and windows environment. The port has only use in linux. And Qt still has very small market share in linux. Maybe Canonical can change that in a few years, but this has still not happened. In a gtk environment qt is able to (somewhat) integrate with a soon deprecated gtk2. Before Canonical release a usable desktop version of unity it is a idiotic project to waste money at.
                              Cocoa is at lest used with a platform with a "measurable" market share.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X