Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Is Moving Along Well For Fedora 21

Phoronix: Wayland Is Moving Along Well For Fedora 21

Red Hat's Christian Schaller has provided an update concerning the Wayland display server state with the upcoming Fedora 21 Workstation release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczMzU

However, for Fedora 21 the XWayland support with 3D acceleration isn't yet ready and will not come until Fedora 22.
    Damn. I was hoping to switch to Wayland completely with F21. It looks like I'll have to wait until F22 since I do all my gaming on Linux. It's great progress nonetheless.

Comment

Almost all Linux games rely on SDL, and if they're new enough then it's SDL2, which supports Wayland directly -- no need for XWayland. My guess is that you'll be able to game fairly well on Fedora 21. (As long as you're OK with the poor performance of the open source NVIDIA/AMD drivers.)

Comment

And notice that it says only Intel is working, AMD & Nouveau will work some day in the future. Closed source drivers some day.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
          Almost all Linux games rely on SDL, and if they're new enough then it's SDL2, which supports Wayland directly -- no need for XWayland. My guess is that you'll be able to game fairly well on Fedora 21. (As long as you're OK with the poor performance of the open source NVIDIA/AMD drivers.)
          Good to hear that. I already game on the open source radeon driver, so I should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            And notice that it says only Intel is working, AMD & Nouveau will work some day in the future. Closed source drivers some day.
            AMD open source and Nouveau work well with Gnome on Wayland and XWayland. Why shouldn't they? At least I'm not havig any trouble using Gnome 3.12 with nouveau on Wayland.
            Last edited by blackout23; 07-03-2014, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              AMD open source and Nouveau work well with Gnome on Wayland and XWayland. Why shouldn't they? At least I'm not havig any trouble using Gnome 3.12 with nouveau on Wayland.
              Because the article states so and I had troubles with nouveau.

Comment

after all

after all is not wayland but xwayland and without 3d acc... what hell

Comment

Because the article states so and I had troubles with nouveau.
                  The article states that it works with all open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    Support for 3D acceleration got merged recently and will be in xserver 1.16 (and thus in Fedora 21).

Comment

Stop spreading fud it clearly states:

Wayland session working with all free drivers (Currently only Intel working, but we expect to have NVidia and AMD support enabled before F21
                      Its not just some day in the future its planned for the 21 release.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                        You misunderstood the article. It is Wayland with support for XWayland, not Wayland through XWayland. Gnome Shell already works natively with Wayland. But the 3d acceleration is only supported in Wayland, not XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                          You misunderstood the article. It is Wayland with support for XWayland, not Wayland through XWayland. Gnome Shell already works natively with Wayland. But the 3d acceleration is only supported in Wayland, not XWayland.
                          Looks like it might have 3D acceleration after all. From one of the comments on the post:

“XWayland working, but without accelerated 3D (done, adding accelerated 3D will be done before FW 22)”

This is supposed to work since this commit http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse...12e44cc9e438eb ... its not in rawhide yet (but will be in xserver-1.16) … I have not managed to get it to work in local jhbuild builds though but krh said that it ought to work so probably just something with my build environment.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                            Almost all Linux games rely on SDL
                            But if the game also links against Xlib, will it still work ? (e.g. linked statically against SDL)

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                              Damn. I was hoping to switch to Wayland completely with F21. It looks like I'll have to wait until F22 since I do all my gaming on Linux. It's great progress nonetheless.
                              Drago commented on Christian's blog and provided a link to a kp commit that enables both 2d and 3d accel in xwayland. That patch is a few weeks old.

Edit: given that 3d should be working in xwayland in 21 that checks of everything in the list save wacom.
                              Last edited by liam; 07-03-2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X