Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Is Moving Along Well For Fedora 21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    And notice that it says only Intel is working, AMD & Nouveau will work some day in the future. Closed source drivers some day.
    Stop spreading fud it clearly states:

    Wayland session working with all free drivers (Currently only Intel working, but we expect to have NVidia and AMD support enabled before F21
    Its not just some day in the future its planned for the 21 release.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
      after all is not wayland but xwayland and without 3d acc... what hell
      You misunderstood the article. It is Wayland with support for XWayland, not Wayland through XWayland. Gnome Shell already works natively with Wayland. But the 3d acceleration is only supported in Wayland, not XWayland.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        You misunderstood the article. It is Wayland with support for XWayland, not Wayland through XWayland. Gnome Shell already works natively with Wayland. But the 3d acceleration is only supported in Wayland, not XWayland.
        Looks like it might have 3D acceleration after all. From one of the comments on the post:


        “XWayland working, but without accelerated 3D (done, adding accelerated 3D will be done before FW 22)”

        This is supposed to work since this commit http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse...12e44cc9e438eb ... its not in rawhide yet (but will be in xserver-1.16) … I have not managed to get it to work in local jhbuild builds though but krh said that it ought to work so probably just something with my build environment.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
          Almost all Linux games rely on SDL
          But if the game also links against Xlib, will it still work ? (e.g. linked statically against SDL)

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            Damn. I was hoping to switch to Wayland completely with F21. It looks like I'll have to wait until F22 since I do all my gaming on Linux. It's great progress nonetheless.
            Drago commented on Christian's blog and provided a link to a kp commit that enables both 2d and 3d accel in xwayland. That patch is a few weeks old.

            Edit: given that 3d should be working in xwayland in 21 that checks of everything in the list save wacom.
            Last edited by liam; 07-03-2014, 07:01 PM.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by liam View Post
              Drago commented on Christian's blog and provided a link to a kp commit that enables both 2d and 3d accel in xwayland. That patch is a few weeks old.

              Edit: given that 3d should be working in xwayland in 21 that checks of everything in the list save wacom.
              Great news. Looks like I'll be a Wayland tester when F21 arrives.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                But if the game also links against Xlib, will it still work ? (e.g. linked statically against SDL)
                This depends on the version. If it's SDL1, it will try to link directly against Xlib and the game will run through XWayland. If it's SDL2 with a version before Wayland support was merged, it will dynamically open Xlib and go through XWayland. Any later version will dynamically open the wayland libs and run natively.

                Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                Almost all Linux games rely on SDL, and if they're new enough then it's SDL2, which supports Wayland directly -- no need for XWayland. My guess is that you'll be able to game fairly well on Fedora 21. (As long as you're OK with the poor performance of the open source NVIDIA/AMD drivers.)
                Note that there are certain functions in SDL2 that are impossible to support in Wayland (eg. setting/getting global mouse cursor or window position), so even if a game relies 100% on SDL2 (no Xlib), it's still not guaranteed to work perfectly well on Wayland.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Hope OpenSuSE move along too. Would be good to have KDE5 on Wayland on r600g

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                    Note that there are certain functions in SDL2 that are impossible to support in Wayland (eg. setting/getting global mouse cursor or window position), so even if a game relies 100% on SDL2 (no Xlib), it's still not guaranteed to work perfectly well on Wayland.
                    Shouldn't these features be available through xdg-shell?

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by newwen View Post
                      Shouldn't these features be available through xdg-shell?
                      Isn't the mouse-lock feature more games oriented than desktop? I believe it's still under discussion, not implemented yet, fot what I know.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X