Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland LiveCD Updated Against v1.5, Uses Systemd On Ubuntu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    After pressing ctrl+alt+F1 I get the usual login prompt for the tty (at F1), and then after ctrl+alt+F8 I get back to a completely black screen.
    Maybe you need some other .log files?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      After pressing ctrl+alt+F1 I get the usual login prompt for the tty (at F1), and then after ctrl+alt+F8 I get back to a completely black screen.
      Maybe you need some other .log files?
      I can't think of any log files. Try pressing enter, (or maybe tab tab enter) to try to select the default session in the zenity dialog at that black screen. It could an issue with pixman that the loginmanagerdisplay uses

      Comment


      • #18
        "enter" or "tab tab enter" didn't help.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          "enter" or "tab tab enter" didn't help.
          Hm... looks like you might be effected by
          https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75761

          Try adding the kernel option nouveau.config=NvMSI=0 by pressing tab at the boot menu, appending that string and pressing enter please?

          If not, it also says something about nouveau-firmware... the problem is I don't know if I can add that to the live CD, because it's in multiverse, and my SourceForge project is GPL v2...

          Comment


          • #20
            nouveau.config=NvMSI=0 didn't help, btw I got asus, not msi.

            Though, as I mentioned earlier if I pick an option below the default one in the grub menu it works, I wonder why. If you had a nouveau/pc you could workaround this issue, to me it's a matter of choosing an option below the default one and I end up with a 1920x1080 desktop resolution regardless of which resolution I choose at grub menu (I chose 2 options both worked, though the one with 1440xXXX gave a warning).

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              nouveau.config=NvMSI=0 didn't help, btw I got asus, not msi.

              Though, as I mentioned earlier if I pick an option below the default one in the grub menu it works, I wonder why. If you had a nouveau/pc you could workaround this issue, to me it's a matter of choosing an option below the default one and I end up with a 1920x1080 desktop resolution regardless of which resolution I choose at grub menu (I chose 2 options both worked, though the one with 1440xXXX gave a warning).
              It works because when you choose the framebuffer option, it also passes the wlmforcefbdev option, which causes the waylandloginmanager to start all Wayland server with the framebuffer option

              On Virtualbox which has a real framebuffer, it sets the framebuffer size, however with kernel mode setting drivers, they provide a virtual framebuffer device that is the same size as your screen, and override the vga=xxx option.

              Unfortunately, even if I did test on Nouveau before this release, it looks more like an issue with Nouveau and your card, and not something that will effect all Nvidia cards. The weston log (loginmanagerdisplay.log) showed nothing wrong, both weston-display-server and weston-desktop-shell are running, and it can't be a mesa issue, because Weston is being called with the pixman renderer for loginmanagerdisplay, I'll see what I can come up with though

              In the mean time I am uploading a test ISO here http://sourceforge.net/projects/rebe...s/nouveautest/ which will finish in about an hour or so, which has menu option to pass the Nvidia workaround... When it's done uploading please try to start it just to verify?


              Thanks for all the testing.

              Comment


              • #22
                Looks like in this new iso there are 2 new options:
                Option (2) - Startup with a workaround for Nvidia/nouveau
                Option (3) - Startup forcing to a default sized framebuffer

                For testing I used not only my current (rather new) videocard (GTX 560Ti, GL 4.4 capable) but also an old(er) Nvidia card - GeForce 6800GS (GL 2.1 capable) on this same computer.
                Both cards yielded the same results:
                Option (2) failed - just like with the default option.
                Option (3) worked!

                I also have a Nvidia card GeForce 9600GT (GL 3.3 capable) - should I do a test with it too?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Sure.
                  Can you also send me /var/log/dmesg ? I think that should have any logging from the driver itself

                  Thanks

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I can't attach files in this forum, so send me an empty email to f35f22fan at gmail dot com and I'll reply with a zip file with 3 folders (560Ti, 9600GT, 6800GS) each has 4 files.
                    The "-1" or "-3" means which option was used at the grub menu "-1" default one, "-3" the successful one with the set size framebuffer.

                    Btw, 9600GT yielded same results as the previous 2 videocards - first two boot options failed, 3rd one succeeded.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                      I can't attach files in this forum, so send me an empty email to f35f22fan at gmail dot com and I'll reply with a zip file with 3 folders (560Ti, 9600GT, 6800GS) each has 4 files.
                      The "-1" or "-3" means which option was used at the grub menu "-1" default one, "-3" the successful one with the set size framebuffer.

                      Btw, 9600GT yielded same results as the previous 2 videocards - first two boot options failed, 3rd one succeeded.
                      Hi. if you paste the contents into a site like pastebin.com ?
                      The charachter limit on pastebin is very high if there even ia any

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                        Hi. if you paste the contents into a site like pastebin.com ?
                        The charachter limit on pastebin is very high if there even ia any
                        Don't worry, I won't sell your email address on the black market and I promise I'm not a maniac, and I'm too lazy to learn to use pastebin and name the pastes which is which (I'm already quite tired actually of testing and such), the files are already arranged and named in proper folders.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                          Don't worry, I won't sell your email address on the black market and I promise I'm not a maniac, and I'm too lazy to learn to use pastebin and name the pastes which is which (I'm already quite tired actually of testing and such), the files are already arranged and named in proper folders.
                          Ok. I'll send an email in a while...

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                            Hi. if you paste the contents into a site like pastebin.com ?
                            The charachter limit on pastebin is very high if there even ia any
                            Haaa... There is a limit, and a pretty low one. (Though yes, I do have logs several MB in size.)

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Hi.

                              I was informed of two recent patches by Mario Kleiner, that fix Nouveau page flipping issues...

                              http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied...751f25ebe60f28
                              http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied...5b438629d6858a



                              I applied them to 3.13, built the module, and tested it, it worked on my older NV36

                              The test ISO is here http://sourceforge.net/projects/rebe...6.iso/download

                              Let me know if this fixes the issue with Nvidia so I can report back to https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75761

                              Thanks.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Also, can all Nouveau users with the black screen on the previous ISO report that this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1330785 affects you, in the hopes that there can be an official backport to Ubuntu's Linux 3.13? Thanks. (Mainline 3.13 is at EOL)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X