Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland 1.5 Appears To Be In Great Shape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Keep in mind that the current XWayland is very barebones and there are many improvements planned like glamor support direct rendering etc. So I would expect quite a lot of improvements still for mutter as a wayland compositor and xwayland. Very surprised that theming etc. works great already. I can launch the xfce terminal which uses XWayland and it still has the proper theme applied.
    Last edited by blackout23; 05-09-2014, 10:21 AM.

    Comment


    • #12
      xwayland=warapper which makes slower x11 applications;
      wayland si a grafic server which makes faster wayland applications rather than x11 applications.

      so depends on wayland applications.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        xwayland=warapper which makes slower x11 applications;
        I don't think so, not in it's final form.

        The SDL 2 package on Arch is compiled with --enable-video-wayland if anyone wants to try out running a Steam game native with local libs (disable STEAM_RUNTIME) or use LD_PRELOAD. Don't know if you'd need SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland aswell.

        Comment


        • #14
          Remember that composite bypass thing we were all talking about a while ago? What happened to that?
          It's fine if there's some structural difference in xwayland vs xmir that doesn't allow it, but if there isn't (and it improves performance per-application that much, since all apps are "full-screen") why hasn't it been done yet? Is it a dirty performance hack or something?

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            I don't think so, not in it's final form.

            The SDL 2 package on Arch is compiled with --enable-video-wayland if anyone wants to try out running a Steam game native with local libs (disable STEAM_RUNTIME) or use LD_PRELOAD. Don't know if you'd need SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland aswell.
            You don't need to disable steam runtime. See http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTU2MzQ
            Source games and Steam are using a version recent enough AFAIK.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
              You don't need to disable steam runtime. See http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTU2MzQ
              Source games and Steam are using a version recent enough AFAIK.
              To bad my laptop here is way to shitty with it's 6150Go to play anything so I can't try it.

              Comment


              • #17
                Enlightenment 19

                I'm not a big fan of Gnome 3, but I'll give it another look when Wayland goes mainstream. However, I'm very interested in Enlightenment 19 which is supposed to offer full Wayland support.

                Interesting times ahead.

                Comment


                • #18
                  to wayland are there usable tiling wms that work on it.

                  Just use here i3wm and I dont know if I can transition back to gnome ^^

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                    to wayland are there usable tiling wms that work on it.

                    Just use here i3wm and I dont know if I can transition back to gnome ^^
                    Check this page:
                    http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...s_for_wayland/

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by oleid View Post
                      yes and thats why my wayland excitement died mostly a half a year ago. its nice for phones for my cubieboard maybe, but other than that I am not very excited, because it seems it doesnt bring much for tiling wm users.

                      you could spin it differently. If you use a tiling wm u solve all problems that wayland does + some more.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X