Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of Wayland Support With KDE Frameworks 5, Plasma Next

Phoronix: The State Of Wayland Support With KDE Frameworks 5, Plasma Next

Martin Grlin has written a new blog post about "KDE5" and Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyNTk

Honton.

Comment

What I'm getting from this is that it will have "good support in some areas, but none in others", kinda like Gnome at the moment. I don't see why this is a race to some people...

Besides, I couldn't care less about "KDE5" running on Wayland; I'd rather have the developers working on the more important things that they set out to do with this version shift. If they can get KDE fully running on Wayland by early summer 2015, that would be great! (Gnome too).

Comment

I don't get where people got the idea that the first release of Plasma Next will have fully wayland support. Sure, they have been working on it, but the developers never claimed, or even implied, it would be ready right away.

Comment

2015 - 2008 = 7 years. Not even funny.

Comment

support but at least on par with KDE's Windows and OS X support.
            Ouch. That's sure setting the bar low.

Comment

That would give Nvidia another excuse not to release Wayland drivers any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                Honton.
                Please, don't tempt the trolls. It won't make banning them quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                  2015 - 2008 = 7 years. Not even funny.
                  that's what we call vaporware

Comment

Originally posted by benalib View Post
                    that's what we call vaporware
                    Only if one has no idea what vaporware means https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware Wayland is fully defined and Weston has multiple releases with desktop environments getting closer to full functionality.

Comment

It would be really cool if it was released with Wayland support out of the box. Still, I don't get what "support at least on par with KDE's Windows and OS X" means.

Comment

So it'll be KDE 4.0 all over again? A totally barebones version to start out with, with nothing, and they slowly build it more over time?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo21 View Post
                          So it'll be KDE 4.0 all over again? A totally barebones version to start out with, with nothing, and they slowly build it more over time?
                          No, the X11 version should have most if not all the functionality from KDE SC 4.13 (although it sounds like the design team won't be finished with their polishing yet). The Wayland version, once it is ready, won't be like 4.0 either, since it is more a matter of getting the affected frameworks working properly, rather than having to build up all the underlying frameworks, API, widgets, and artwork like had to be done for 4.0.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                            No, the X11 version should have most if not all the functionality from KDE SC 4.13 (although it sounds like the design team won't be finished with their polishing yet). The Wayland version, once it is ready, won't be like 4.0 either, since it is more a matter of getting the affected frameworks working properly, rather than having to build up all the underlying frameworks, API, widgets, and artwork like had to be done for 4.0.
                            Oh I see, well thats good news atleast.

Comment

Originally posted by Hοnton View Post
                              It would be really cool if it was released with Wayland support out of the box. Still, I don't get what "support at least on par with KDE's Windows and OS X" means.
                              It means that applications which run on Windows/OS X should run on Weston as well, and probably a few more.

What it doesn't mean is that every application will run - there will likely still be some applications that specifically tie in to X and that will need to be ported away to run cross-platform. Hopefully there won't be many of these, but they aren't making any promises.

And there definitely won't be Plasma desktop support. You'll need to run Weston or another desktop compositor.

Comment

Working...
                              X