Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termistor: A New Tabbed Wayland Terminal

Phoronix: Termistor: A New Tabbed Wayland Terminal

Giulio Camuffo has announced a new pet project he's been working on for Wayland: Termistor. The open-source Termistor is a drop-down, tabbed, terminal for Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Termistor: A New Tabbed Wayland Terminal

Giulio Camuffo has announced a new pet project he's been working on for Wayland: Termistor. The open-source Termistor is a drop-down, tabbed, terminal for Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU1NDA
    I hope this plugin system is a good idea... If something is not behaving as expected, program developers just write an weston plugin and be done with it. This could get fun.

Comment

I don't understand why things are being written 'for Wayland', that doesn't sit well with my understanding of how Wayland works.

I thought you wrote something that works with a Wayland-compatible compositor such as Weston, newer versions of GTK / Qt (or Kwin?) etc. And they in turn talk to the Wayland backend. Is my understanding incorrect, or am I just being too pedantic about the wording of the article?

Comment

There are no "Wayland-compatible" compositors, and there is no "Wayland backend". There are Wayland compositors, that is compositors which use the Wayland protocol and library to communicate with clients and which draw to the screen using any way they like, such as DRM, fbdev, X11, another Wayland compositor, ...
        A client is a Wayland client when it uses the Wayland protocol to communicate with a compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post
          There are no "Wayland-compatible" compositors, and there is no "Wayland backend". There are Wayland compositors, that is compositors which use the Wayland protocol and library to communicate with clients and which draw to the screen using any way they like, such as DRM, fbdev, X11, another Wayland compositor, ...
          A client is a Wayland client when it uses the Wayland protocol to communicate with a compositor.
          So how does this explain how Termistor can be deemed a 'Wayland Terminal'? That was the crux of my questioning. Would it not be more accurate to say it's a Weston terminal?

Comment

Hm not necessarily, the way I understand it (based on the article only):

The terminal is a wayland client, using qt5 as a toolkit.

It implements some functionality via a weston plugin, because the author wants the functionality offered by the plugin to eventually be included into the wayland protocol itself, once(if) that is done, the terminal will work in any wayland compositor (that implements the protocol extension). So the weston dependency is probably meant to be temporary.

Comment

That's right. Termistor works in any wayland compositor, though it needs the protocol implemented by that weston plugin to have the drop-down behavior. You can start it in Gnome shell or in a qt compositor and it will work, but it will be a normal window.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                So how does this explain how Termistor can be deemed a 'Wayland Terminal'? That was the crux of my questioning. Would it not be more accurate to say it's a Weston terminal?
                I think it's being a little overcomplicated. It's a "Wayland terminal" in much the same way that gnome-terminal was a X11 terminal: written against the X11 protocol, for use on X11, and using X11-specific code (inputs, for example). It will run on any X11 compositor, DE, etc (if you've got the Gnome libraries needed) as long as you're running X11.

This is like that, but for the Wayland protocol.

I guess usually we don't talk about the X11 bit in applications (especially terminals), but it's there. Porting to Wayland isn't as simple as upgrading your GUI kit...

Comment

Not as nice as stjerm for X.

Comment

Working...
                  X