Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Indepth With Wayland Sub-Surfaces

Phoronix: Going Indepth With Wayland Sub-Surfaces

A few days back I wrote about sub-surfaces coming to Wayland's protocol after being a Weston-only feature for several months. For those curious about this Wayland feature, developer behind the code has written about this new feature at length...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A very nice write-up that I encourage people to read
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Great

That's great and all that... but it still don't support window minimize

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Do anyone still needs the explanation on that bit, or can we just skip that silliness?

Comment

IIUC sub-surfaces might be able to help remote desktop scenarios. Once clipping is supported, sub-surfaces could be used for 'viewports', where the content is more or less static.

For example a text editor could put the text area on a sub-surface, and then scrolling would become much smoother and less cpu-intensive since instead of passing big frame delta 60 times per second only the relative position of the internal window would have to be transmitted.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            Do anyone still needs the explanation on that bit, or can we just skip that silliness?
            It's not nessessary, we explaned it to him many time, he don't seems to understand

Comment

Wow, that's bad enough . Is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                The wl_shell interface doesn't give ways to minimize.

It is about to be replaced by xdg_shell (written by Gnome devs), which has ways to minimize.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                  I don't get it... We all know that minimizing is a relict from the past! - the Gnome desktop has long depreciated this heretic feature. Nobody complains about it missing today...

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                    I don't get it... We all know that minimizing is a relict from the past! - the Gnome desktop has long depreciated this heretic feature. Nobody complains about it missing today...
                    LOL!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X