Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland-Based Chromium Browser Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wayland-Based Chromium Browser Released

    Phoronix: Wayland-Based Chromium Browser Released

    Intel's Open-Source Technology Center has done their first release of Ozone-Wayland, the new component that allows Google's Chromium web-browser to work natively on Wayland without any dependence on X.Org. Fedora and Ubuntu binaries are currently available...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUxMTA

  • #2
    Finally, awesome!
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

    Comment


    • #3
      Haha!
      Wayland Chrome for Ubuntu. I know that most of the Ubuntu derivatives uses/will use the Wayland protocol for their displayservers, it just kinda seems a little like a slap in Canonicals face, if it doesn't work with Mir :P

      Comment


      • #4
        Canonical will have to build a Mir backend for Ozone in the future. But meanwhile, this is awesome!

        Comment


        • #5
          Damn these journalists!
          It's not a release, it's a preview release, big difference implied. Still awesome news.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            Damn these journalists!
            It's not a release, it's a preview release, big difference implied. Still awesome news.
            Quite a milestone i might add.


            Come on Firefox people.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Quite a milestone i might add.


              Come on Firefox people.
              Yeah, Firefox and especially LibreOffice will take years, the latter might take 5+ years since it's got lots legacy code and mentality from the 90'.

              Comment


              • #8
                good times, good times indeed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                  Yeah, Firefox and especially LibreOffice will take years, the latter might take 5+ years since it's got lots legacy code and mentality from the 90'.
                  Yet they have been consitently releasing a browser that uses far less memory than Chrome ever since v21, they also push for open internet standards such as ASM.js rather than NIH solutions such as NaCl, so I wouldn't be sayng that they have a 'mentality from the 90's'.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                    Yet they have been consitently releasing a browser that uses far less memory than Chrome ever since v21, they also push for open internet standards such as ASM.js rather than NIH solutions such as NaCl, so I wouldn't be sayng that they have a 'mentality from the 90's'.
                    I think he was talking about LO only

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X