Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland-Based Chromium Browser Released

Phoronix: Wayland-Based Chromium Browser Released

Intel's Open-Source Technology Center has done their first release of Ozone-Wayland, the new component that allows Google's Chromium web-browser to work natively on Wayland without any dependence on X.Org. Fedora and Ubuntu binaries are currently available...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUxMTA

Finally, awesome!
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Haha!
      Wayland Chrome for Ubuntu. I know that most of the Ubuntu derivatives uses/will use the Wayland protocol for their displayservers, it just kinda seems a little like a slap in Canonicals face, if it doesn't work with Mir :P

Comment

Canonical will have to build a Mir backend for Ozone in the future. But meanwhile, this is awesome!

Comment

Damn these journalists!
          It's not a release, it's a preview release, big difference implied. Still awesome news.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            Damn these journalists!
            It's not a release, it's a preview release, big difference implied. Still awesome news.
            Quite a milestone i might add.

Come on Firefox people.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Quite a milestone i might add.

Come on Firefox people.
              Yeah, Firefox and especially LibreOffice will take years, the latter might take 5+ years since it's got lots legacy code and mentality from the 90'.

Comment

good times, good times indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                  Yeah, Firefox and especially LibreOffice will take years, the latter might take 5+ years since it's got lots legacy code and mentality from the 90'.
                  Yet they have been consitently releasing a browser that uses far less memory than Chrome ever since v21, they also push for open internet standards such as ASM.js rather than NIH solutions such as NaCl, so I wouldn't be sayng that they have a 'mentality from the 90's'.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                    Yet they have been consitently releasing a browser that uses far less memory than Chrome ever since v21, they also push for open internet standards such as ASM.js rather than NIH solutions such as NaCl, so I wouldn't be sayng that they have a 'mentality from the 90's'.
                    I think he was talking about LO only

Comment

Working...
                    X