Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Showing Off Hawaii Desktop Running On Wayland

Phoronix: Video Showing Off Hawaii Desktop Running On Wayland

If you're curious about the state of the Qt5-powered Hawaii Desktop running natively on Wayland, a new video has been uploaded that nicely shows off this new Linux desktop alternative that's designed around Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUxMDk

Resizing of the windows seems slow. Any ideas?

Comment

Let's stick with Xorg.

Comment

Everything seems slow. Maybe the video recording is causing this.

Comment

I remember trying it like 6 months ago and it was way faster than in this video, so yeah I guess it's caused by the video capture. Maybe he ran it in a vm also ?

Anyway, is it simple to build it right now ?

Comment

That looks too slow for a very simple lightweight desktop at low resolution .
            Lucky , i will be using X for at least the next five to ten years

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
              Hopefully I will be using Wayland next summer. The video recordings really don't matter, you have to try it yourself in order to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                Everything seems slow. Maybe the video recording is causing this.
                IIRC, a backend was added for accelerated video capture using quicksync (assuming he's running a snb or higher intel).
                Perhaps someone could make a generic one with plugins for vaapi and vdpau?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

Comment

Easy way to test: the x86_64 Arch repositories

The Hawaii desktop can easily be installed binary on Arch linux. I have tried to play with it some, but there are unfortunately no good instructions for now how to use it as an everyday desktop. Last I checked, you could either run it as non-root under X or start it as root. If there are other instructions around that I have missed, I am interested to know about them

I played with a 3rd variant and made a custom entry in my display manager (I went for KDM) to log in to a "clean" Hawaii desktop as non-root, and then got a small desktop about 1/4th of the screen in the upper left corner (was some time ago I tested this - I will check again).

Comment

right now I'm building the last Maui-project from source, I'll tell how far it goes. Last time I didn't tried it because of the lack of a proper web browser, but now, with ozone-chromium...

Comment

Would it be possible to use it with ArchARM on a RaspberryPI ?

Comment

Eek
                            Code:
                            | ERROR: oe_runmake failed
                            | ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/doom/mauibuildwork/build-poky-x86_64/tmp-eglibc/work/qemux86_64-maui-linux/linux-maui/3.10.3-r1/temp/log.do_compile.23780)
                            NOTE: recipe linux-maui-3.10.3-r1: task do_compile: Failed
                            ERROR: Task 165 (/home/doom/mauibuildwork/tasks/build/20131112.0/build-poky-x86_64/poky/meta-maui/recipes-kernel/linux-maui/linux-maui.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'

Comment

@1:06, what happened to the "every frame is perfect" concept?!

Comment

Working...
                              X