Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Access Proposal For Wayland's Weston

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remote Access Proposal For Wayland's Weston

    Phoronix: Remote Access Proposal For Wayland's Weston

    RealVNC has proposed a new remote access interface for Wayland's Weston compositor to support remote desktop solutions like VNC, RDP, etc...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5MDQ

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Remote Access Proposal For Wayland's Weston

    RealVNC has proposed a new remote access interface for Wayland's Weston compositor to support remote desktop solutions like VNC, RDP, etc...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5MDQ
    This is supposed to be easily implemented in other compositors right??

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't think I've ever had a positive experience with VNC.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'ts time for modern techniques. Compositors are nothing but OGL applications. Valve is able to stream games within the Intranet so there must be a way to implement this in compositors. If its done correctly you should even be able to stream everything... even steam-games. Correct me if i'm wrong.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
          I'ts time for modern techniques. Compositors are nothing but OGL applications. Valve is able to stream games within the Intranet so there must be a way to implement this in compositors. If its done correctly you should even be able to stream everything... even steam-games. Correct me if i'm wrong.
          X11 networking capability has been outclassed for decades now.

          It's certainly possible to stream animation, games, and other things like that over the network. People do it all the time. They just don't use X to do it.

          Comment


          • #6
            This is still the oldschool style of "capture the whole output, display as a single window on the remote display". I'd really prefer if each window was sent separately, then displayed in its own window with proper decorations on the client. Native integration, if you wish.

            After all, the wayland compositor's job is to wait for framebuffers, then composite them onto the screen. Shouldn't be difficult to send the new framebuffer across the net to another wayland instance, where it's just drawn onto a window and then submitted to the local compositor.

            At least architectually, it should be simple. Devil's in the details and everything.

            Caveats: it would require a new protocol. Access to the "root window" would still require another huge window on the client. Possibly higher bandwidth requirements due to transmitting content of hidden windows, but then again moving windows becomes a lot cheaper.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
              another wayland instance
              Would that not require client to also have Wayland running? Considering it's basically Linux (and maybe BSD in flthe future) only, that's not gonna work.

              Comment


              • #8
                I guess the client only needs to open a window and draw the transmitted framebuffer onto it, which isn't wayland specific at all. If VNC can do so with one window, doing it with multiple windows is easy.
                Sending input back to the server is easier with wayland though, since it wouldn't require any translation in input protocols.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I don't think I've ever had a positive experience with VNC.
                  I have one. I record screencasts by using vncrec, it gets perfect quality while hardly using any space and cpu (compared to normal screen recorders, which trash the hd and cpu even if they don't encode live).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                    This is still the oldschool style of "capture the whole output, display as a single window on the remote display". I'd really prefer if each window was sent separately, then displayed in its own window with proper decorations on the client. Native integration, if you wish.
                    Is it? The details on this project are a little unclear, but while VNC is known for remoting the entire desktop, the same approach can be done on a per-window basis. It's long been proposed that that would be the best way to do remoting for Wayland...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                      Is it?
                      Let me quote from the mailing list proposal linked in the article:
                      The remote-capture interface allows a particular output to be captured. It is created by specifying a shared memory region of the required size, and the output to capture. The interface allows a single refresh to be requested, in which case an update event will signal when the update is ready to be read from the buffer. It can also operate in continuous mode, when update events are sent whenever the output changes and the buffer has been updated. The update event contains the coordinates of the rectangle that changed (in coordinates relative to the output). This part is loosely based on weston's screenshooter code.
                      Sounds very much like fullscreen capture to me.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yeah, I've tried RealVNC and Remote Desktop Control, but I wasn't thrilled with any of those options. You get what you pay for. Now I use RHUB`s remote support servers for remote access. It's easy to use and secure.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X