Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenRISC Emulator In JavaScript Can Run Wayland

Phoronix: OpenRISC Emulator In JavaScript Can Run Wayland

An interesting open-source project pointed out to Phoronix this week was an OpenRISC emulator that's written in JavaScript. Making things more interesting is that it can now even run Wayland and a Linux image with keyboard support while being able to use JavaScript and other common open-source programs from this JavaScript-based emulator that runs in modern browsers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4NDI

About 40-80 mips on my i7 netbook. Its pretty impressive I did have to make sure I had power management mostly disabled cause it throttles down if I don't.

Comment

I wonder if this app is more useful (especially with Wayland support) than a painting of a panda's ass.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        I wonder if this app is more useful (especially with Wayland support) than a painting of a panda's ass.
        Just for reference ...

Comment

How does Wayland run on that? For comparison purposes:
          • Intel i486DX2/66: 54 MIPS
          • Intel Pentium/100: 188 MIPS
          • ARM 7500FE (Acorn RISC OS Network Computer), ARM3.5running at 40 MHz: 35.9 MIPS
          • ARM11 (Nokia N97, iPhone), at 412 MHz: 515 MIPS
          • ARM Cortex M0 (the slowest modern processor available, it consumes about 0.67 miliwatts running at full power), 50 MHz: 45 MIPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            How does Wayland run on that? For comparison purposes:
            • Intel i486DX2/66: 54 MIPS
            • Intel Pentium/100: 188 MIPS
            • ARM 7500FE (Acorn RISC OS Network Computer), ARM3.5running at 40 MHz: 35.9 MIPS
            • ARM11 (Nokia N97, iPhone), at 412 MHz: 515 MIPS
            • ARM Cortex M0 (the slowest modern processor available, it consumes about 0.67 miliwatts running at full power), 50 MHz: 45 MIPS.
            Poorly... but it does run. It seems to lock up after interacting with it a bit though. I imagine wayland would run acceptably with some sort of acceleration. In this cases none of the drawing is accelerated.

Comment

Ok let me get this straight, We have this processor, with and OS already on it, and a browser running on top of it, running a java script process on top of that, running they machine instruction cycle of another processor, that is running and OS that can run a browser, that can run JavaScript, that can emulate another processor that can...

Is this a vanity project or is it useful in some way that I missed?

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                I imagine wayland would run acceptably with some sort of acceleration.
                A webgl backend?

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
                  Ok let me get this straight, We have this processor, with and OS already on it, and a browser running on top of it, running a java script process on top of that, running they machine instruction cycle of another processor, that is running and OS that can run a browser, that can run JavaScript, that can emulate another processor that can...

Is this a vanity project or is it useful in some way that I missed?
                  I don't think there are other OpenRISC emulators, in which case any emulator for it is useful, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
                    I don't think there are other OpenRISC emulators, in which case any emulator for it is useful, of course.
                    And there is another one: http://opencores.org/or1k/Or1ksim

In this case, it's only useful to let people use an OpenRISC system in their browser, e.g. when they don't have their OpenRISC development environment around

Comment

Working...
                    X