Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland & Weston 1.3 Have Been Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wayland & Weston 1.3 Have Been Released

    Phoronix: Wayland & Weston 1.3 Have Been Released

    While it's arriving late, the Wayland 1.3 release with the adjoining Weston 1.3 reference compositor is now available for your next-generation display server needs...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4MzE

  • #2
    So, tell me if I'm putting this picture together correctly... libhybris is integrated for Android drivers. So that means Weston (and eventually, GNOME 3.12) could run on something like the mk802, with full 3d acceleration? If so, that would open up a huge market for small, affordable, low-power Linux desktops. Imagine being able to lend a usable desktop computer to people who want to try Linux. There are a lot of possibilities if this has decent performance and compatibility with existing applications.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
      So, tell me if I'm putting this picture together correctly... libhybris is integrated for Android drivers. So that means Weston (and eventually, GNOME 3.12) could run on something like the mk802, with full 3d acceleration? If so, that would open up a huge market for small, affordable, low-power Linux desktops. Imagine being able to lend a usable desktop computer to people who want to try Linux. There are a lot of possibilities if this has decent performance and compatibility with existing applications.
      GS already runs well there. Freedreno's Rob Clark has shown his RE'd driver running an acelerated GS.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by liam View Post
        GS already runs well there. Freedreno's Rob Clark has shown his RE'd driver running an acelerated GS.
        Well then- time to buy a few! Although it would also be interesting to run it from my phone at some point. Seeing as how you can run multiple DEs under one user by switching VTs and adding displays, perhaps under Wayland a similar setup would allow simultaneous use of a phone and PC interface under different environments (Glacier UI on Mer with GNOME Shell, for instance).

        Things are about to get very interesting in 2014.

        Comment


        • #5
          Things are about to get interesting in late 2013, when Wayland on the Jolla phone enters the market.

          Comment


          • #6
            Now will Steam OS run Wayland? seeing how its based on Debian or Gentoo?? cuz as we know it Wayland Slayed Xmir and Mir and even soon is going to Slay SurfaceFlinger as developers ware porting Wayland to Android

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
              Now will Steam OS run Wayland?
              I actually fired off a question at least 6 months ago to Valve regarding their interest in Wayland - the answer was - 'it's something we'll definitely look into', non-committal, but they aren't disregarding it whatsoever.

              Integrating Wayland into Android can only secure a further stranglehold of the platform's already strong market share.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                Now will Steam OS run Wayland? seeing how its based on Debian or Gentoo??
                Where did you read that SteamOS will use Debian or Gentoo?
                I've not seen any clear statements yet, as-to-what they're using.

                Comment

                Working...
                X