Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Can Now Run GNOME Shell Wayland On Fedora 20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You Can Now Run GNOME Shell Wayland On Fedora 20

    Phoronix: You Can Now Run GNOME Shell Wayland On Fedora 20

    The GNOME 3.10 Wayland Tech Preview for Fedora 20 is nearing reality. While there wasn't the Wayland tech preview ready for the recent Fedora 20 Alpha, with the latest Fedora packages it's now possible to run the updated GNOME stack atop Wayland without the use of an X.Org Server...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3NjU

  • #2
    Don't forget to check Giovanni's blog (linked in Matthias's), as it has an actual screenshot of the Wayland session. Just seeing that has changed my perspective on how close we are to getting a daily Wayland experience. So long as XWayland and its direct rendering have come along by next March, I can really see myself using this. I just wonder how much longer it will take to get it running on Android drivers.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
      Don't forget to check Giovanni's blog (linked in Matthias's), as it has an actual screenshot of the Wayland session. Just seeing that has changed my perspective on how close we are to getting a daily Wayland experience. So long as XWayland and its direct rendering have come along by next March, I can really see myself using this. I just wonder how much longer it will take to get it running on Android drivers.
      Keep in mind that we still need egl drivers that include the wayland specific extension (forget what it's called).

      Comment


      • #4
        So..anyone know what's holding XWayland back? Or is it just a case of them trying to get the actual thing ready and thus just not working much on it?

        Comment


        • #5
          the beauty that is wayland:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by liam View Post
            Keep in mind that we still need egl drivers that include the wayland specific extension (forget what it's called).
            The free in-kernel drivers have worked with Wayland for years, and they are more than suitable for most people. People who need the few remaining strengths of the blob drivers will still have to wait a little while longer of course.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm excited for this. I'm an Xfce user, but they are not jumping to Wayland anytime soon. I'll probably move to GNOME, but I'm not a big fan of it. I hope I can run Classic.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                the beauty that is wayland:
                that is just mutter-wayland.. I think you want:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                  So..anyone know what's holding XWayland back? Or is it just a case of them trying to get the actual thing ready and thus just not working much on it?
                  Canonical wants to run entire desktops under XMir. This is turning out to be more complicated that anticipated. For XWayland, it will just run applications that don't run under Wayland. This should be much simpler and as Wayland has a lot of X developers, I'm guessing their assessment is right.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by robclark View Post
                    that is just mutter-wayland.. I think you want:

                    it puts tears in my eye's

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                      it puts tears in my eye's
                      No no no, there's no tearing in Wayland. Every frame is perfect

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bkor View Post
                        Canonical wants to run entire desktops under XMir. This is turning out to be more complicated that anticipated. For XWayland, it will just run applications that don't run under Wayland. This should be much simpler and as Wayland has a lot of X developers, I'm guessing their assessment is right.
                        As the XWayland behavior is the same as xorg in macosx and windows I suppose the behavior already is supported by xorg and has been optimized in many years?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by robclark View Post
                          that is just mutter-wayland.. I think you want:

                          pretty! thanks for posting!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            This is a big milestone as I understand. I'm extremely pleased with the pace of development of Wayland & GNOME this year.

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Code:
                                            wow
                                                   gnome
                                                                 wow
                                     such alignment
                                                   ready for production
                                            such obscure issue
                                                                 nobody will ever see
                                            wow
                              I shouldn't stay up so late.

                              tl; dr:
                              You can have X running while trying it on a tty with "gnome-session --session=gnome-wayland". tty switching doesn't work, but you can "pkill gnome-session" and it'll drop you back to the tty. But when doing that it also killed pulseaudio and kded4 in X was a bit broken and hotkeys still don't work even after starting kdeinit4 again.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X