Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland 1.3 Release Candidate 2 Arrives For Testing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wayland 1.3 Release Candidate 2 Arrives For Testing

    Phoronix: Wayland 1.3 Release Candidate 2 Arrives For Testing

    The release of Wayland 1.3 and the reference Weston 1.3 compositor is near...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3NTk

  • #2
    Downstream

    Hope it gets picked up by downstream fast.

    It probably gets picked up by ArchLinux fast.
    But Debian and Ubuntu still doesn't have 1.2.0.

    They're still on 1.1.0 or 1.0.5 or so.

    Comment


    • #3
      Fedora 20 doesn't yet seem to offer the Wayland tech preview.

      The wayland-mutter stuff is installed by default but no option present at the login screen.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Honton View Post
        Fedora is the most important place since it is the gravity center for Wayland and Gnome development. Fear not, Fedora saves all
        Yeah, but it's such a train wreck, aside being an incubation zone for a server OS - I installed the daily build yesterday which made me recall how shitty, weird and fancy is the installer - a bad design for smartphones applied to the PC, like putting lipstick on a pig.
        Last edited by mark45; 10-03-2013, 09:51 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Fedora 20 doesn't yet seem to offer the Wayland tech preview.

          The wayland-mutter stuff is installed by default but no option present at the login screen.
          GNOME Wayland status under Fedora 20 Alpha

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Honton View Post
            Yeah pre release Fedora can be a bit shakey. You sound more like an ubuntu kinda guy. Stay at a service packed LTS version to be sure. Have fun in Canonical land when Mir is released.
            whats this Mir thing you're talking about sounds like vaporware to me

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Honton View Post
              Yeah pre release Fedora can be a bit shakey. You sound more like an ubuntu kinda guy. Stay at a service packed LTS version to be sure. Have fun in Canonical land when Mir is released.
              For sure, anyone not loving Fedora must be an Ubuntu user. Another great example of Honton's logic.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Honton View Post
                Fedora is the most important place since it is the gravity center for Wayland and Gnome development. Fear not, Fedora saves all
                I thought you didn't like MIT-licensed software? Weston is MIT-licensed and only works with MIT-licensed graphics drivers.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Honton View Post
                  Yeah pre release Fedora can be a bit shakey. You sound more like an ubuntu kinda guy. Stay at a service packed LTS version to be sure. Have fun in Canonical land when Mir is released.
                  I dislike Canonical and hate Mir, all for wayland, but apparently I'll use Ubuntu & Mir cause I find Unity a lot better thought out than Gnome 3 and desktop Fedora, despite Fedora probably being technically superior, which is why Fedora sucks to me as a desktop solution but is good for servers. So I'm not ideological, I go for what's easiest and sucks less out of the box. If Fedora makes a redesign of Gnome 3 to the better I'll switch over.
                  Last edited by mark45; 10-03-2013, 11:37 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Honton View Post
                    I suggest you start out thinking really hard about the difference between FSF-style CA and commercial CLA
                    Actually, I'd like you to explain this to me.

                    As a general rule I accept different levels of restrictions to different kind of software can be beneficial, but asymmetric licensing is always wrong.
                    1) You can accept software which can be closed by anyone at any time.

                    2) You can't accept Qt which is LGPL and can be closed by one party only, and if that happens, it automatically becomes 1)

                    No, I don't understand it because it doesn't make any sense. A neutral observer would get the idea that you are simply trolling, as evidenced by all your "KDE is dying" posts.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Relax people. The MIT licence is probably so Wayland can replace X11 everywhere, including BSDs. I agree that asymmetrical licensing is wrong, but I also agree that Qt is an exception because of the "will become BSD licensed" workaround. Can't we just be happy that the abomination known as X will soon disappear?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                        Relax people. The MIT licence is probably so Wayland can replace X11 everywhere, including BSDs. I agree that asymmetrical licensing is wrong, but I also agree that Qt is an exception because of the "will become BSD licensed" workaround. Can't we just be happy that the abomination known as X will soon disappear?
                        Wayland should use LGPL license. BSDs don't matter. X works well for me. Wayland still seems to be crap.
                        Last edited by JS987; 10-03-2013, 04:15 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                          Wayland should use LGPL license. BSDs don't matter. X works well for me. Wayland still seems to be crap.
                          BSDs matter to some people. Wayland isn't crap, it's a clean-up of the graphics stack. I don't need to repeat all the tonnes of evidence regarding that, that've already been posted on the web. X works well for a few, maybe quite a few. But Wayland will work better for everyone. Including those that want the network capability.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                            I dislike Canonical and hate Mir, all for wayland, but apparently I'll use Ubuntu & Mir cause I find Unity a lot better thought out than Gnome 3 and desktop Fedora, despite Fedora probably being technically superior, which is why Fedora sucks to me as a desktop solution but is good for servers. So I'm not ideological, I go for what's easiest and sucks less out of the box. If Fedora makes a redesign of Gnome 3 to the better I'll switch over.
                            Fedora is for developers hackers IT also a preview for RHEL etc and can be used for a day to day desktop it has only free packages in it standard repos and this is why most users don't like it you have to add you own non free packages just like debian also Fedora has many desktops MATE KDE GNOME XFCE so you don't just have to pick one and have you tryed gnome 3.10 its way better then 3.6 or 3.8

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                              Mir is a desktop technology that pushes forward the linux desktop and ushers it into a new era. Mir is developed by Canonical, arguably the best Linux technology OS company in the world. Canonical develops Ubuntu, the best and most popular version of Linux. They are basically the Microsoft of Linux, dominating the field. If you haven't tried Ubuntu, you should, as it eclipses all other Linux distros that may have left a bad taste in your mouth due to them being to difficult to use. Canonical really likes to push technology forward as one of the most innovative companies in the world when it comes to operating systems and they have shown that outstanding vision combined with excellent execution is the way to go in the 21 century when it comes to IT. There really are only 3 companies that make operating systems: Microsoft, Apple and now Canonical. And Canonical is ascending fast to become a real pretender to the throne!
                              And where, in all of that, do you rank Google, developers of the Android and Chromium OS / Chrome OS operating systems?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X