Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Is Running Well On Wayland/Weston

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Is Running Well On Wayland/Weston

The low-cost low-end Raspberry Pi ARM development boards are running quite happily now with Wayland and using its Weston compositor. The performance is better than with an X.Org Server and Raspberry Pi's Eben Upton has called it the future of Linux desktop graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Raspberry Pi is old legacy ARMv6.

I would love to see a single-board computer with ARMv8 and 64-bit.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Raspberry Pi is old legacy ARMv6.

I would love to see a single-board computer with ARMv8 and 64-bit.
      That would be great. I'm dreaming of a 4Ghz ARMv8 processor with 8 cores for the desktop. Much lower power consumption than Intel and AMD and good performance.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        That would be great. I'm dreaming of a 4Ghz ARMv8 processor with 8 cores for the desktop. Much lower power consumption than Intel and AMD and good performance.
        Sounds like an IBM POWER7. The instruction set is RISC like ARM's and they have plenty of 4Ghz\8 cores offerings.

p.s. it's a joke... obvious one to me but I just realised I might stair up some trouble... IBM jokes... Well, it was funny a decade ago
        Last edited by c117152; 18 September 2013, 06:12 AM. Reason: p.s. that price lol...

Comment

Why does the RPI needs its own backend? I thought wayland/weston was supposed to be rather hardware agnostic as long as there was support in the graphics driver.

Please enlighten me!

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
            Sounds like an IBM POWER7. The instruction set is RISC like ARM's and they have plenty of 4Ghz\8 cores offerings.
            IBM CPUs cost like 10 times more than Intel ones

Comment

Originally posted by papper View Post
              Why does the RPI needs its own backend? I thought wayland/weston was supposed to be rather hardware agnostic as long as there was support in the graphics driver.

Please enlighten me!
              Drivers need to support X server \ Wayland \ Mir internally. It's why Intel was in the position to reject the Mir patches.

Well, I think. I was just informed otherwise at least in one case. I guess it depends on the driver...

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
              IBM CPUs cost like 10 times more than Intel ones
              Yeah lol. Note the edit I added just before you posted
              10 times is actually a very cheap estimate. The IBM Power 750 Express server we were just consulted to buy retails at 36K
              Last edited by c117152; 18 September 2013, 06:29 AM. Reason: typo, added reply

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                A 4 GHz ARM would probably get toasted by a 3 GHz Intel.
                But yeah, that would be really nice though.
                Imagine it passively cooled too.

Intel is making some good Atom processors to compete with ARM though. Like the upcoming one built on the Silvermont architecture.
                I think it will be pretty competitive with ARM processors.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  A 4 GHz ARM would probably get toasted by a 3 GHz Intel.
                  Intel is making some good Atom processors to compete with ARM though. Like the upcoming one built on the Silvermont architecture.
                  I think it will be pretty competitive with ARM processors.
                  Silvermont CPUs have at most 4 cores. 8-core version is missing.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                    Silvermont CPUs have at most 4 cores. 8-core version is missing.
                    Yeah, but it might still be competitive with Qualcomm Krait and Samsung Exynos.
                    Apparently the Silvermont is targeted for tablets and is said to have good performance and battery.

Comment

Working...
                    X