Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Now Easier Running Wayland Under GNOME-Session

Phoronix: It's Now Easier Running Wayland Under GNOME-Session

With another day comes more improvements to the Linux desktop running atop Wayland. While yesterday saw Enlightenment on Wayland work, today already is some GNOME Wayland activity ahead of the GNOME 3.10 release in just a few weeks time...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ1OTk

Too bad Ubuntu and Debian repositories carries old version of Wayland.

So on what does GDM run?
    Does GDM run on X, then you select the Wayland session, then you run both X and Wayland?
    Or does GDM run on Wayland?
    Or does GDM run on X then X exits and Wayland starts?
    Or GDM runs on framebuffer or something independent of both X and Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      Looks like the next Ubuntu LTS gonna go head to head against Gnome with full Wayland support. Fun times ahead.
      Only that nobody that wants to use a LTS will go for Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

So on what does GDM run?
        Does GDM run on X, then you select the Wayland session, then you run both X and Wayland?
        Good question! I wonder about that too

Comment

So on what does GDM run?
          This is a great question.
          I think that GDM might run on Wayland, and if you choose an X session Wayland exits and X starts... but then GDM would have to restart...
          Hmm :/

Comment

So if I install Fedora 20 RC1 on an external HD and opt-in to Fedora Rawhide will I get this update over night?

Comment

Would love to see more Youtube videos showing this sort of progress. If you search for Wayland on Youtube you tend to get fairly old stuff.

Comment

There is newer version here:
                git://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/wayland/weston.git
                git://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/wayland/wayland.git
                So on what does GDM run?
                I'm not sure, but it might work on gnome-shell.
                /usr/share/gdm/greeter/applications/gnome-shell.desktop:
                Exec=gnome-shell --mode=gdm

Comment

According to https://wiki.gnome.org/Wayland/gdm , it looks like at first GDM will run under X server which after login is reset and left running in the background for later use.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    This is a great question.
                    I think that GDM might run on Wayland, and if you choose an X session Wayland exits and X starts... but then GDM would have to restart...
                    Hmm :/
                    X Wayland should be automatically loaded when WMs, not DMs are chosen in GDM menu. I other choises option for X and Wayland shoud be prompted. GDM shoud be rewrited for framebuffer mode, which is often running after an early start within boot process. Next switches to X or Wayland will be simple then.

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post
                      There is newer version here:
                      git://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/wayland/weston.git
                      git://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/wayland/wayland.git
                      Can't compile from source.
                      Can't fetch from Git.
                      Need pre-built binaries.

Comment

Kidding?

Can't compile from source.
                        Can't fetch from Git.
                        Need pre-built binaries.
                        Are you kidding dude?

The latest Wayland release is available in Debian Unstable - prebuilt for ARM/i386/AMD64 (yes binary packages...)

Weston is currently part of experimental, but Weston is only the example template of how a compositor should look like, GNOME-Shell is going to be independent of this, and will use its own Wayland compositor.

At Debian, folks, like me, already start to port all needed stuff over for GNOME 3.10 in experimental/unstable.

For me running GTK 3.10 with packages from GNOME 3 Staging Ubuntu GNOME Remix PPA just works very fine. Even compiling is straight forward. I already compiled Polari / GNOME Software and others.

But stuff only gets seriously ported over when stable release versions are reached.

A lot of stuff needs to be done: AND YOU CAN HELP...

http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.10-status.html

Packing needed libraries to compile is the first step. The Ubuntu GNOME REMIX Staging PPA is a great start for already built packages, which most of the time work under Debian as well. (just cherry pick)
                        Last edited by gotwig; 09-12-2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

So on what does GDM run?
                          Right now? Still X, I would think, since Wayland is being treated as an experimental session choice, not yet a system default.

Long term, it will run on Wayland, since the GDM UI is just a simplified Shell session, so it will run the same platform as Shell does.

Comment

The thing I dislike about the development process going through with Weston and Gnome Shell is the hard dependency both have on logind and the forced depreciation of ConsoleKit.
                            This completely locks out the use of either compositor on any other OS other than Linux, which is a huge cop out in my eyes and only serves to force other Linux distributions to adopt systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                              The thing I dislike about the development process going through with Weston and Gnome Shell is the hard dependency both have on logind and the forced depreciation of ConsoleKit.
                              This completely locks out the use of either compositor on any other OS other than Linux, which is a huge cop out in my eyes and only serves to force other Linux distributions to adopt systemd.
                              Let remind you: ConsoleKit is dead upstream. The code is still available, nobody including staff from *BSD steps up to maintain it.
                              Nothing stops adapting logind, a better replacement of ConsoleKit, for their own purpose like Canonical did to handle Upstart, why should it be different for other OS?

Comment

Working...
                              X