Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland'ized GNOME Shell Gets A Binary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wayland'ized GNOME Shell Gets A Binary

    Phoronix: Wayland'ized GNOME Shell Gets A Binary

    GNOME Shell has got another Wayland improvement ahead of the GNOME 3.10 debut next month...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ1MDQ

  • #2
    Now if only XWayland was merged into X11 already it would be pretty much usable with open source drivers.
    Last edited by blackout23; 08-31-2013, 08:45 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Honton View Post
      Great. Yet another sign that Gnome is the leading DE for wayland development and consumption.
      Pitty that it became one of the most annoying DEs to use.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Pitty that it became one of the most annoying DEs to use.
        Since we are throwing our opinions out like facts, I might as well: Gnome 3 is the most productive and comfortable DE to use.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jukkan View Post
          Since we are throwing our opinions out like facts, I might as well: Gnome 3 is the most productive and comfortable DE to use.
          Use it then.

          Comment


          • #6
            Cool, I hope I'll be able to play with gnome-shell on wayland on arch linux when 3.10 comes out

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jukkan View Post
              Since we are throwing our opinions out like facts, I might as well: Gnome 3 is the most productive and comfortable DE to use.
              Let's not get carried away here... and try to at least keep things in the realm of believability.

              Comment


              • #8
                I've seen people using it at my work. It seems to be working quite fine.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                  I've seen people using it at my work. It seems to be working quite fine.
                  Only if you're not an irreformable brick who thinks no possibility to place icon on the desktop is a slander to usability. You know, because Windows 95 defined usability and there's no need to look at it again, is it?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Icons on desktop

                    @Bucic is correct, Gnome 2.x and Mate are just so last century.

                    Personally I hate icons strewn all over a desktop. But, if that is what you want it is one click in Gnome Tweak Tool. Most shell haters never get as far as actually looking at the settings or extensions.

                    I will be trying the Wayland version with 3.10, one more step into the future.
                    Last edited by grege; 08-31-2013, 08:09 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The most comfortable and productive desktop developed was NEXTSTEP.

                      Due to all the inner whining at Apple [I was there] we moved more to MacOS than OS X as it should have been.

                      We're still not there in productivity use with 10.9. But 10.9 stomps the piss out of any DE in Linux or Windows.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by grege View Post
                        Personally I hate icons strewn all over a desktop.
                        Likewise... I disabled that feature years ago on Gnome 2, so I'm happy enough with it gone by default in 3. The folder ended up being just a dumping ground for downloaded files, without much real value to me.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by grege View Post
                          Most shell haters never get as far as actually looking at the settings or extensions.
                          I'm really sick of people calling haters other people who just doesn't feel like using the same thing as them. Why would someone use a DE that needs to be tweaked to fit him, if another one offers the desired features by default, at similar or maybe even better performance? It's not about hatred, it's about tastes. What ones consider garbage, others consider treasures.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                            I'm really sick of people calling haters other people who just doesn't feel like using the same thing as them. Why would someone use a DE that needs to be tweaked to fit him, if another one offers the desired features by default, at similar or maybe even better performance? It's not about hatred, it's about tastes. What ones consider garbage, others consider treasures.
                            The "haters" aren't the ones who simply don't like Gnome and opt to use something else instead - there's nothing wrong with having different preferences. The "haters" are the ones who can't shut up about it, who react to every Gnome thread by coming in and complaining about everything they don't like, and making dubious claims based on stuff they heard someone else bitching about several years ago.

                            Of course, that's the Gnome haters. We have no shortage of other kinds, some of which maskerade as Gnome fans, but in reality are just whining trolls who don't like Canonical/Unity, or don't like KDE or Windows or whatever. They're an embarrassment to the developers or to most of the other users, but there's not much you can do about them...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                              The "haters" aren't the ones who simply don't like Gnome and opt to use something else instead - there's nothing wrong with having different preferences. The "haters" are the ones who can't shut up about it, who react to every Gnome thread by coming in and complaining about everything they don't like, and making dubious claims based on stuff they heard someone else bitching about several years ago.
                              IMO most are just trolling. Why else go on and on in every GNOME thread. If you're really happy with another desktop environment, you'd use it by now already. This just indicates they actually like GNOME, just are afraid to admit it to themselves. Various other topics might still have an effect (Mir), even if you don't use it. A desktop environment, I don't see it, especially now people could just as well use MATE.

                              For people thinking about using the Wayland support: Be wary that X does a little bit more than just put Windows on the screen. There is a reason that full support is only expected 6 months from now. The current support will lack various things. Not sure what is still coming for 3.10, but think of things like xrandr (have a laptop and do presentations? :P), input (different input languages) and various others that I forgot about. More people using this will make 3.12 better, just be prepared that it is not perfect yet.

                              Also good to point out that it adds Wayland support, not something hackish

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X