Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Gets Hardware-Accelerated Screen Capturing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wayland Gets Hardware-Accelerated Screen Capturing

    Phoronix: Wayland Gets Hardware-Accelerated Screen Capturing

    The DRM compositor back-end for Wayland's Weston now has a patch that provides hardware-accelerated screen capturing support by using VA-API with drivers that support this video decode/encode acceleration mechanism...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0Mzc

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Wayland Gets Hardware-Accelerated Screen Capturing

    The DRM compositor back-end for Wayland's Weston now has a patch that provides hardware-accelerated screen capturing support by using VA-API with drivers that support this video decode/encode acceleration mechanism...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0Mzc
    fraps for wayland?

    Comment


    • #3
      Very good!
      This is the kind of features you want from a modern display server, being able to use hardware effectively with it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        fraps for wayland?
        Fraps IN wayland!

        Comment


        • #5
          Cool stuff. This is why it's a good idea to let people who know what they doing deal with the graphics stack.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Fraps IN wayland!
            No, in Weston.

            Wayland is the protocol, Weston is the reference implementation of a compositor for it. Maybe everyone's getting confused because Canonical don't seem to know what a protocol is (or at least refuse to specify them)...

            Comment


            • #7
              seems pretty cool but considering that most of the things people record on their screens are gpu intensive, i feel like this would have a more negative effect than anything. i'd rather stick with CPU recording on a modern system, but, having GPU acceleration as an option is always welcome.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                seems pretty cool but considering that most of the things people record on their screens are gpu intensive, i feel like this would have a more negative effect than anything. i'd rather stick with CPU recording on a modern system, but, having GPU acceleration as an option is always welcome.
                In Wayland you can Run a Nvidia GPU intel Gpu or AMD GPU all at the same time so you can use your intel GPU to do the screen cast why playing on your Nvidia GPU

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  ... considering that most of the things people record on their screens are gpu intensive, i feel like this would have a more negative effect than anything.
                  "Intensive" may mean anything, from like 30% GPU load to 99%, define.
                  The computer is gonna do less FPS while recording regardless of whether you're using the CPU or GPU for the task.

                  Hw accelerated capturing is the Right Thing(TM) to do, your computer sucking at a sophisticated game will not make recording thru CPU better, unless in some corner case.
                  Doing the stuff on the GPU is better to keep the computer responsive, since if you hog the CPU all other apps are screwed even if they don't use GL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This is similar to nvidia shadowplay except for vaapi enabled drivers. If vaapi implementation on driver side doesn't use gpu shaders but dedicated hardware for video encoding (not all cards have this hardware physically on board of course) then performance impact should be minimal (2-5%). Excellent news. Hope they will also enable nvidia nvenc support.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                      "Intensive" may mean anything, from like 30% GPU load to 99%, define.
                      The computer is gonna do less FPS while recording regardless of whether you're using the CPU or GPU for the task.

                      Hw accelerated capturing is the Right Thing(TM) to do, your computer sucking at a sophisticated game will not make recording thru CPU better, unless in some corner case.
                      Doing the stuff on the GPU is better to keep the computer responsive, since if you hog the CPU all other apps are screwed even if they don't use GL.
                      hmm why use the same gpu?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Screen capturing is subject to a second DRM that is usually outside of realm of an usual Linux user - Digital Rights Management. If a new technology will give a better ability to capture perfect digital copies then content owners will fight that system.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ivoshiee View Post
                          Screen capturing is subject to a second DRM that is usually outside of realm of an usual Linux user - Digital Rights Management. If a new technology will give a better ability to capture perfect digital copies then content owners will fight that system.
                          1. Name one reason why we should care? We're not going to make Wayland or Linux on their terms. Linus doesn't add user-hostile DRM features to the kernel or keep away useful features that would potentially offend "content providers", why should Wayland? The very purpose of open source is to enable users and give users control of their hardware and software. Open source is about giving the users tools to do what they want, not crippling them because users aren't trusted...

                          2. The content providers probably won't care anyway, since they won't be bringing any of their content streaming services (netflix etc.) on Linux either way. This is exactly why they won't do that, too - they will want a platform that panders to their demands, so that if they want to say "we want your OS to be non-transparent and prevent this and that feature because users might use it to violate our IP" then they'll get it - microsoft in particular is far too anxious to pander to their demands and will surely implement whatever "trusted computing" feature the content providers want. The whole point of windows and other systems like it is to provide a platform for passive consumers to passively consume content from the shit chute of hollywood in a top-down model.

                          3. Which gets us to the real reason of DRM and the "war on piracy" - it's not really meant to prevent piracy, the copyright mafia (hollywood, mpaa, riaa, and equivalents) isn't that stupid, they can clearly see that piracy doesn't hurt their profits so much that spending all that money to fight it would be justified - but their whole existence as gatekeepers is dependent on maintaining the image that they fight piracy, that they protect "IP". A functional internet is a huge threat to them because it enables the funding, publishing and distribution of content without going through them, the gatekeepers. A functional internet is like a huge hole in the wall right next to that gate, and it kinda hurts their attempts to collect entry fees. So they try very hard to cripple the internet, to introduce laws that ostensibly fight "piracy" but really are about stopping new market disruptors - to cripple the internet so that it becomes hard or impossible to publish independently.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That's very interesting. Can the output be piped into FFmpeg? Since I don't suppose the screen capturing capabilities of Weston include capturing sound.

                            Originally posted by Ivoshiee View Post
                            Screen capturing is subject to a second DRM that is usually outside of realm of an usual Linux user - Digital Rights Management. If a new technology will give a better ability to capture perfect digital copies then content owners will fight that system.
                            In terms of perfect quality, it's no different than x11grab. It's the speed that is different, and that is a very important thing for people like me who do videogame playthroughs. And the playthroughs are good for the companies, because it's free advertising for their games.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              @GreatEmerald

                              Of course the quality is different. VAAPI encoding only does H.264 using the fixed function block, you cannot get lossless recording using this. So forget screencasts and anything else that requires quality or non-H.264 output formats outright (converting from lossy to lossy!). Further, only a single pass is possible with this, dropping quality more.

                              For games it might be enough, depending on if you need to show text/UIs accurately, but for anything else, the quality of the fixed blocks is not good enough. I always capture losslessly and then later encode at my leisure with the best possible quality.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X