GNOME & Intel Developers Plan The Wayland Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Honton View Post
    This is just great. Today Gnome is hosting a conference talk about Wayland, and alot of those Intel and Collabora dudes are there. Because Intel and Collabora is Gnome.
    the same intel who have qt for their ivi platform? and the same collabora who primarily contribute to weston, rather than mutter?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      Gstreamer never was and never can be the right bet. KDE has an ABI compatibility guarantee. They could not use gstreamer directly because it was going to, and did, break API (not to mention ABI) multiple times during the KDE SC 4 cycle.
      are you drunk? gstreamer 0.10.x was fully api- and abi-compatible for its entire lifespan, from 2005 until, well, now. 1.0.x was released late last year, but seven years of abi compatibility isn't exactly a bad run, and 0.10.x continues to exist and see maintenance releases.

and while we're at it, gtk+ 2.x was fully abi-stable for its entire lifespan of nine years.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        I also you completely ignored the part about dbus. I mentioned a bunch of other examples earlier in the thread but still haven't gotten a response to any of them.
        are you talking about the same dbus which was designed not only by havoc, but also to a large extent by waldo bastian, one of the primary guys behind dcop? dbus was always a collaborative effort, designed to work for both gnome and kde, by gnome and kde developers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          I always find it funny how Gnome people state how stupid KDE was for not using GStreamer directly and instead should've used GStreamer directly. These are the same people who are defending the Telepathy wrapper over using libpurple directly. As if Pidgin wasn't a nice messenger?
          they aren't the same thing, as you can probably work out from telepathy being a service and libpurple being a shared library. if you want proper shell integration, either you can use telepathy as a service (wrapping libpurple for proprietary protocols and using its native, and far more extensive, support for xmpp and various other protocols), or ... build your own telepathy-like service wrapping libpurple only.

Comment

• Originally posted by daniels View Post
            , and 0.10.x continues to exist and see maintenance releases.

Comment

• This means wine gstreamer will be brocken for a long time. Qt4 QGstramer too which means telepathy-call-ui will be useless until a K Frameworks 5 versiom is out.

Comment

• heh, my bad. well, it does continue to exist at least, and works no less well than it ever did - including being parallel-installable with 1.0 ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                  This means wine gstreamer will be brocken for a long time. Qt4 QGstramer too which means telepathy-call-ui will be useless until a K Frameworks 5 versiom is out.
                  really? it's not like 0.10.x suddenly gained a load of bugs or is suddenly unusable. it's parallel-installable with 1.0.x too, so there's no pressure for a sudden and immediate switch. same way the 0.8.x → 0.10.x transition was handled.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phoronix Email;
                    Dear Ericg,

daniels has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled
                    I always chuckle just a little whenever I see this....

Originally posted by daniels View Post
                    are you drunk?
                    And he doesn't disappoint lol :P

On topic though... Gstreamer did the ABI/API break right, they made sure you could have both (pre-break and post-break) versions installed simultaneously so that no matter what software you had targetting no matter what version of Gstreamer your stuff still worked exactly as it was intended. There's no conspiracy theory. There's no magic genie suddenly making gstreamer0.10 have tons of bugs that it didn't have before (though using an unmaintained piece of software isnt a great idea, granted). Install both, call it a happy day, and if you have a piece of software that REQUIRES 0.10 then got on the developers ass to port it to 1.x, its that simple.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by daniels View Post
                      really? it's not like 0.10.x suddenly gained a load of bugs or is suddenly unusable.
                      No, not suddenly but it's still unusable. Any media play framework is that randomly stops playback is useless: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=281897
                      Bugs like these are nowadays only getting fixed in GStreamer 1.x (hopefully they get fixed at all).
                      Not only does Phonon ensure KDE's ABI stability promise, it also means that people like me can simply avoid such bugs by just using the VLC back-end.

Comment

Working...
                      X