Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME & Intel Developers Plan The Wayland Future

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Yes I know that many X drawbacks are apparent but the change for the enduser should be minimal.
    Given that minimal can be interpreted to suit any point - yes.
    To me - no, it's a big difference, less CPU, less/no stuttering, apps starting up faster, when dragging window the cursor doesn't stay behind, user input across the whole desktop doesn't "freeze" if you have a right-click menu anywhere visible, etc etc As a desktop programmer it's worth learning wayland's API, as opposed to trying to learn X11 which is a shitload of antiquated crap not worth learning and memorizing unless you wanna deal with code from 1980's which is at the core of X11 which is so grotesque nobody dares changing it.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      I wonder how long it takes until someone mentions..

      It's funny that all people are excited to have wayland desktops in the future. You should only see a difference if something goes wrong .
      Yes I know that many X drawbacks are apparent but the change for the enduser should be minimal.
      Yep...it's about as minimal as OS 9 -> OS X on the Mac....

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by MartinN View Post
        Yep...it's about as minimal as OS 9 -> OS X on the Mac....
        How should I know about what went on with Mac OS? This is a Linux forum. Mac OSX is the Anti-Linux. Visually your desktop will look the same.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by MartinN View Post
          "Wayland = the future of the Linux desktop... and the future is now"

          Refute that !
          Easy! Future is, by definition, everything that comes AFTER "now"...

          Refuted :P

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Honton View Post
            Gnome does more than just being comitted to support. Gnome is heavily involved in the development of Wayland and Weston.
            Why would any Gnome deve be involved with Weston when they don't even plan to use Weston at all?

            Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
            fast as the Development has been going for the Gnome>Wayland i say it may have a Full Gnome-Wayland this year
            You show incredible ignorance how a six months release cycle works…

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Why would any Gnome deve be involved with Weston when they don't even plan to use Weston at all?
              Well, involvement on Wayland, at least until full blown desktops work on it, imply involvement on Weston, since you need a testbed for the changes you do in Wayland.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                Well, involvement on Wayland, at least until full blown desktops work on it, imply involvement on Weston, since you need a testbed for the changes you do in Wayland.
                And who are the people who work on Gnome as well as Wayland?

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  And who are the people who work on Gnome as well as Wayland?
                  I don't know, I didn't make the statement. I only pointed out that *if* one is involved in Wayland, chances are this one is involved in Weston, too.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    How should I know about what went on with Mac OS? This is a Linux forum. Mac OSX is the Anti-Linux. Visually your desktop will look the same.
                    That's not quite true. OS9 - OSX was a completely different operating system. Where as X11 - Wayland is the same operating system

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      That's not quite true. OS9 - OSX was a completely different operating system. Where as X11 - Wayland is the same operating system
                      X11 and Wayland aren't operating systems, so the comparison is invalid anyway.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X